Need Your Opinion Please...

Decorating By sugarlaced Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm by SweetResults

sugarlaced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 11

what type of rolled icing do you prefer to work with?

1. Looking for something that is ready to just roll and use,

2. Needs to taste good,

3. Not too hard to work with!!

I have been working with MMF, but with the last cake that I did I spent a lot of time making MMF, and kneading it the next day. I worked and worked with it and couldn't get the "pits" out of it. It just would not smooth out. Then when I would put it on the cake and trying smoothing out around the bottom of the cake, it would "wrinkle" (looked like elephant's skin)lol! Anyone know what I was doing wrong??

10 replies
sugarlaced Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 11

BUMP!

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlaced Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:46am
post #4 of 11

Yoo-Hoo anyone there??

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:50am
post #5 of 11

Satin Ice. Wilton flavored in a pince and readily available.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:52am
post #6 of 11

yeah, I kinda liked Satin Ice as well....it wasn't too bad!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:53am
post #7 of 11

I like Satin Ice, and I just bought a large tub of Penettice Fondant, haven't tried it yet, but hoping it is good.

One thing I have found with these store-bought fondants is that I always seem to get airbubbles with them. And it happens like the next day or during delivery - UGH! I never got that with MMF.

But it smooths out very nicely!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:54am
post #8 of 11

satin ice rocks! comes in vanilla, dark choc and many colors. pricey, but worth it. tastes great and easy to roll out much thinner than mmf.

sounds like th mmf was too dry. do you use crisco to roll it out or p.sugar? i like the results better when i use crisco.

i used to get little clumps in my mmf, and i think it just is too hard to get the same results each time. its cheap to make but then you figure in your time (an hourly rate - 20 minutes or so for 2 lbs) its worth spending a tiny bit more to have ready made that tastes great and thre results are always the same-

chocolate wraps are also very cool. i have yet to try one but they look awesome and there are so many ways to jazz them up.

sweet_as_tisse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_as_tisse Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:59am
post #9 of 11

i love using Fondx, smells yum and tastes great too. its very easy to work with and covers cakes beautifully.

i also use it for modelling by adding some tylose powder...

kylie

sugarlaced Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks you guys, I am going to try some Satin Ice this weekend...Can you color it or flavor it??

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 3:18pm
post #11 of 11

I know you can color it - I would assume you could flavor it, just watch how much flavor you put in because I would imaging it would effect the texture if you add too much liquid.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%