Condensation On Fondant Cakes - Help!!

Decorating By Merakibaking Updated 9 Aug 2019 , 4:31pm by Debbieshobby

Merakibaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merakibaking Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 9:46am
post #1 of 7

I am making a two tier fondant cake for a birthday. 

i have ganache both layers yesterday and put it in the fridge to firm up overnight. I took it out today, added my Trex like normal and covered the cake in fondant. Within about 3 minutes while trying to smooth the fondant it went super sticky, to the point I couldn’t even touch it without leaving a mark. 

I then looked at my other tier and the ganache was wet on it, so condensation. Now I’m wondering what to do?! I assume I should wait for the condensation to disappear from the ganache covered cakes and THEN continue with covering it in fondant? But the condensation just keeps coming even when I wipe it so when/will it actually dry up?!

thanks

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 11:18am
post #2 of 7

can you box it so hopefully it can more gradually come to room temp without the waterworks — even if it’s a regular box you just set over it or set it in till you get a grip on it 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 11:18am
post #3 of 7

are you in Australia?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 12:26pm
post #4 of 7

The condensation will go away once the cake has warmed up to the temperature of the room you are working in.

To help with covering a cake with fondant without the fondant getting sticky is to either work in a cooler environment or let the cake warm up a bit before covering.  Just yesterday I had to cover a small cake with fondant.  Luckily I was able to get it covered and smooth before it got sticky but I had to leave it sitting for a bit before I could work with it because it got pretty sticky since the cake was cold when I covered it.

Merakibaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merakibaking Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 7

I’m in the uk, but I’m no sure why today’s humidity just seems insane! I just left them for a bit (removed the crazy sticky fondant) and THEY DRIED, I was so relieved, and then it went back to normal and I was able to do all the fondant just 3 hours later.

last time I put the ganache covered cakes in the fridge this never happened but now I’m thinking to just avoid the fridge completely to avoid this ever happening again? 

Thanks for for all your help :) 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

i just remembered the waterfall effect like this happening for folks especially in australia and africa — those cakes poured out condensation — so I just wondered — but i have heard that europe has been having record high summer temps — 

so if you want you could watch the the dew point if your weather people report on that — when it goes beyond 70 (here anyway) is when stuff like this goes crazy — might give you a better measure of control — dry heat is fine — but this other is murder on cake — like I need to tell you but anyway —

best to you

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 4:31pm
post #7 of 7

I am in the UK too - did a cake 2 weeks ago with buttercream underneath and it was a nightmare. I did not even refrigerate my cake and the humidity was a real problem when I came to cover with fondant. I was shocked as never had an issue with this fondant before and I have decorated in much higher temperatures before. I don’t think you need to refrigerate a ganache  covered cake overnight unless it has a perishable filling. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%