Brands Of Flour

Baking By Kaycee19 Updated 14 Aug 2019 , 9:03pm by -K8memphis

Kaycee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaycee19 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 16

How big of a difference does it make in flavor of a vanilla sponge between using store branded all purpose flour (for example Signature Select for Albertsons, Great Value for Walmart) versus main stream brands like King Arthur, Gold Medal, Pillsbury?

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 16

i notice zero difference — I use store brand white flour 

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 16

Just a few days ago, in a facebook group, a baker stated that she had attempted a popular recipe 3 times and it always tasted like flour. She wasn't sure what she was doing wrong. Someone suggested she use a different brand of flour, and that resolved the problem. She had been using Gold Medal, and found Bob's Red Mill made an improvement.

I've always been happy with King Arthur, and now that I've found 50lb bags for $18, I don't plan on changing.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 16

I also use King Arthur, but in the past have used Pillsbury, Martha White and White Lily.  They all work well.  I've never used a store brand, which is odd because I use store brand for lots of things.

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 16

What did you think of White Lily? I've read a lot of praise for White Lily online. I found some and tried it, but it is self rising, and IMO has too much leavening. I saved it, and as soon as I have time to work on a recipe, I want to try making chicken and dumplings with it.

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 16

I loved it, ThatCakeDude42, and mine was also Self Rising, which I use for biscuits.  It would not be a good choice for yeast breads, but is light and fluffy for biscuits, scones and cakes.  I just recently learned that in the UK, they use Self Rising (they call it Self Raising) flour and add additional baking powder.  I tried it for a Victoria Sandwich (cake), recipe from on of my Brit friends, and it was fabulous.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 16

I like the cheap white flour with the malted barley in it — which enhances browning or it’s supposed to — it’s what I grew up with and now I use cassava and almond flour and blablabla flour for health reasons — but if I bake ‘regular’ goodies I use what i’m used to — i didn’t like the “good” stuff like white lily  —

white lily devotees are dedicated folks

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 16

My basic go-to flour is King Arthur unbleached plain flour, but I substitute wheat flour for part of the flour in almost all my recipes.  I love the flavor of whole grain flours.  I've nevered heard to the malted barley, but I will look for it in the ingredients.

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 16

it’s in the store brand flours, pillsbury, gold medal — I doubt King Arthur uses it — but just in the white all purpose and the self rising — wonder if it’s in bisquick

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 12:20am
post #10 of 16

-K8memphis, Bisquick does not contain malted barley, I just checked.  We always have it on hand because Mike likes to make pancakes with it.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 1:26am
post #11 of 16

+1

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 9:14am
post #12 of 16

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 1 week ago

I loved it, ThatCakeDude42, and mine was also Self Rising, which I use for biscuits.  It would not be a good choice for yeast breads, but is light and fluffy for biscuits, scones and cakes.  I just recently learned that in the UK, they use Self Rising (they call it Self Raising) flour and add additional baking powder.  I tried it for a Victoria Sandwich (cake), recipe from on of my Brit friends, and it was fabulous.

I finally got around to making chicken and dumplings with the White Lily flour... I didn't like it in cake, but it worked great in these.

jRHfttK.jpg

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 12:36pm
post #13 of 16

whoa — i’ll have some for breakfast right now — mmmm

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 4:07pm
post #14 of 16

It looks wonderful, ThatCakeDude42!  I LOVE chicken and dumplings!

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 16

-K8memphis Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 16

these dumplings would make a perfect "cotton module" in answer to another post --

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/852410/cotton-module-cake

but they are still making my mouth water!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%