Venting With A Request For Advice

Business By StephanieK Updated 6 Aug 2019 , 5:53pm by Baker Beach

StephanieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephanieK Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 8

How do you respond to a work acquaintance who never orders anything (despite constantly saying she is going to) but constantly asks you to bring her free desserts?  It's getting kind of uncomfortable.

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 8

i'd smile and say "no" --

but if you are bringing them stop -- and don't discuss your work with her or when she's around

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 8

Haha!  I thought exactly the same thing, NO.  Say no, then ask her to bring you lunch for the next day.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 12:29am
post #4 of 8

Stop bringing them. When she ask give a condescending laugh, and say yeah right

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 1:21am
post #5 of 8

I'd be a little more blunt and say something like "I can't afford to keep bringing in these free desserts but if you want to buy something I'll be glad to make it for you"  She is really taking advantage of you.   

Fancyschmancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancyschmancy Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 1:43am
post #6 of 8

Yeah.  I agree with everyone else.  Just be honest.  "I'm flattered that you like my work, but it takes time and money and I have to invest my samples where I get a return on my investment, but I'm just so flattered you like my recipes.  What is your favorite thing to make?"  It redirects it back at them, thanks them, and is kind.  If it continues you can pretend she's joking and laugh, but not in a mean way, until she stops.  

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 3:17am
post #7 of 8

No. Short. Sweet. I'd even smile, but no.

Baker Beach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker Beach Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 8

Or, next time she asks you to bring something, pretend you didn't hear the word "free" or "bring me the extras".  Tell her you are excited she is finally able to place an actual order and tell her the price. She'll probably never ask for free dessert again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%