Modeling Chocolate Help

Decorating By KatyN Updated 13 Aug 2019 , 5:17pm by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 12

Ok time for some troubleshooting.

I was working with it today, and when I was forming it - I noticed a couple of things.

1 - It looks and feels grainy and tears.  I keep a wee bit of 10x near me just to dust to prevent sticking.

2 - It's incredibly greasy.  Thought it was the gloves, then when I was modeling it sans gloves- wow.  Just very very greasy.

The recipe I used called for 1# melts (white or dark) to 1/4 C. clear Karo.

Thanks!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 12

sounds you might have melted it at too high of heat if it is grainy — yes it leaks out the oil 

how did you melt it? is it white or brown choco?  I used to use a third cup to 14 ounces of choco — but idk

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 11:59pm
post #3 of 12

I've made so much modeling chocolate that I no longer measure the ingredients, but your proportions sound workable.  When blending the melted chocolate and corn syrup, just one or two folds too many can break and ruin the whole batch.  Mix them gently by turning with a rubber scraper and as soon as it starts to solidify, turn it out onto plastic wrap.  Wrap it and let it set on the counter for a couple of hours until it cools and becomes firm.  I like to divide it into smaller pieces to knead, makes it easier.  Knead it a few times until it becomes silky smooth and wrap in a couple of thicknesses of plastic wrap.  It is best to let it mature overnight before using.  Hope that helps.

KatyN Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 3:54am
post #4 of 12

Thanks I’ll try again.

I usually mix until it kind of looks like froyo.  That may be too much.

Also, I was using the 1#/4 Oz for white and dark melts.  I melt it gently but never all the way.  About 3/4 melted then stir so the residual heat can melt the rest.

Thanks for the advice.  Once I get that down maybe forming the pieces will be easier!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 12

also having the corn syrup and the choco about the same temp helps — 

idk if you can melt a quarter of the mixture in residual heat that seems like it’s pretty hot especially if it’s getting grainy — chocolate is very temperamental— I would leave it on the very low heat long enough for 95% to melt — chocolate is on it’s own timetable it won’t be rushed —

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 12

I’d even go to 98% — i’ve ruined a lot of white chocolate and when it’s grainy it’s burnt —

signed

learnt-the-hard-way blush

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 12

Make sure the temperature of the chocolate rises to between 104 degrees F. and 113 degrees F. when melting. Do not heat above 115 degrees F. (milk and white chocolate) and 120 degrees F. for dark chocolate, otherwise it will burn”

water boils at 212 so 115 is very low sustained heat — 

add time 

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 12

I think -K8memphis is using more science than I, lol.  I microwave it on high power for a couple of minutes to start, then at 30 second intervals until it is super soft and start stirring to melt the rest of the chocolate.  While I am stirring the chocolate, I heat the corn syrup in the microwave until it is approximately the same temp as the chocolate.  When mixing, just (I fold it with a rubber scraper, much like folding in egg whites) fold until it thickens slightly, then turn out to cool for a couple of hours.  As I said earlier, one turn too many can break the chocolate and make it unrepairable.  It will be grainy and grossly greasy.

On the bright side, save it and use it for things like rocks or to build up a large area, then cover it with good chocolate.  

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 12

I'm amazed at how gentle y'all are with this stuff. I use 1 package of plain old almond bark or 2 packages of Candy Melts and 1/2 cup of corn syrup.  Any color or flavor I need is added to the corn syrup.  Melt the almond bark and stir in the corn syrup and turn out onto waxed paper on the counter. As soon as it's cool enough to handle, I knead the excess oil out of it.  It makes a mess and looks like it will never hold together and be smooth, but all at once it's beautiful. At this point, I treat it just like fondant.

I've never been concerned with temps or stirring or being easy with it (as long as it doesn't get hot enough to cook, that is). It turns out fine and it's all I use to cover cakes anymore because it tastes so much better than fondant.  If I had to be really careful with it, I probably wouldn't mess with it.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 12

I don’t use a thermometer, guys — I was trying to help op to make it without possibly burning it because she said it gets grainy —

she seemed to say that with “gentle” melting she could get a quarter of the mixture to melt in the residual heat and that’s too hot — it will burn and get anywhere from grainy to black — so I was giving her some indication of the temps for success —

I use almond bark from the grocery store too —  ditch the oil if necessary —

KatyN Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 3:30am
post #11 of 12

Never thought of using almond bark..

As with many things, I think this is something wherein it takes practice and getting a feel for it.

Thanks for the tips :)

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%