Getting Different Answers Re: Fondant/airbrushed Cake In Fridge!

Decorating By Loopy88 Updated 5 Aug 2019 , 4:08pm by inthekitchen2

Loopy88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loopy88 Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 12:57am
post #1 of 8

So I've scoured the internet and several baking forums and have found no consensus in older threads, but I'm hoping I might get some today... against all logic!

I have a pretty tall four layer cake (only one tier) that I'm covering in American Buttercream and airbrushing. It'll have fondant accents across the front over the airbrushed buttercream but the whole cake won't be covered. 

Some say if I refrigerate, I will have color running issues with the airbrushed color, others have said they do it just fine w/ airbrushed cakes. 

Same with fondant- some say it'll bead up/sweat, others say it'll be fine (or minimal) as long as it's in a box. 

Here's the complication: this cake has to survive a 50-60 minute car ride and everyone's telling me you should transport a cake cold. So do I risk having a room temp cake turn to mess in a car, or risk all the issues that come with getting it properly cold? I'm so stressed because I've seen every answer under the sun and hope someone can help me decide which route to go!

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 1:59am
post #2 of 8

I've only recently started airbrushing, but I did an airbrushed buttercream cake with fondant accents no long ago.  I kept it refrigerated and had no issues and it was not boxed.  I always transport my cakes cold and in a portable cooler made from this video.  I swear by it!  The only thing I do differently is make my box open on one end to I can slide the cake in and out instead of lowering it in from the top.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 2:00am
post #3 of 8

Because the cake goes into the cool box as soon as it comes out of the refrigerator, it doesn't condensate.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 5:14am
post #4 of 8

That is the most genius thing I have ever seen! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 1:42pm
post #5 of 8

consensus is over rated — you need to test things for yourself with your recipes and equipment in your weather conditions to be fully confident —

“one baker’s ‘never ever do’ is the next baker’s ‘i swear by this’“

best to you

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 3:41pm
post #6 of 8

@ypierce82, Serdar Yener is fantastic!  He has so many, many practical, useful tips on his channel for beginners and experienced decorators, as well.  He does have paid tutorials, but he has a wealth of information that is free.  Well worth watching.  I never deliver a cake without using his cooler, even in winter.

So true, @-K8memphis!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 8

+1 @sandra

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 8

All my cakes, no matter if airbrushed, fondant, or buttercream are room temp. They go in cars for who knows how long, as I don't deliver. I have never refrigerated, I've heard too many things with refrigerating drying them out, condensation issues, etc. and I don't feel the need to test it when room temp has always worked for me for years. If there is a filling that needs refrigerated, then I would, but most of mine are not, so I don't. Tiered cakes have made it fine to their destinations, I've had some go hours away for weddings in the August heat. I know some love to refrigerate, so they do. If it works for them great, my room temp works for me. Do what works for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%