Modeling Chocolate Vs Fondant

Decorating By Lowy22 Updated 2 Aug 2019 , 7:28pm by SandraSmiley

Lowy22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lowy22 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 4

I have a fishing themed cake coming up and I was curious about using modeling chocolate. I usually use fondant or cake dough covered in fondant but I'm wondering if modeling chocolate is easier (and tastier) to use?? How hard is it to color or "paint" on? 

3 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 4

Modeling chocolate is definitely better tasting - it tastes just like Tootsie Rolls.  Once you've made it, you handle/store just like fondant. It may need a few seconds in the microwave to get started since it does get a little firmer though. Painting is about the same as fondant. If you use something water or alcohol based, it's going to bead up. Try to use a gel base or mix your color with piping gel.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 4

Modeling chocolate is my go to medium for figures.  I usually try to color the modeling chocolate the lightest color in whatever I am making and finish it by dry brushing dusts.  Be cautious with gel colors.  Unless diluted with alcohol, I have found that it will not dry.  You can use melted cocoa butter as a medium for mixing petal dusts, which will adhere to the chocolate without beading up.  I made the body of this fish out of Rice Krispy Treats, on a strong wire, for support.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 4

Modeling Chocolate Vs Fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%