scout106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scout106 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 17

Disney Princess Cake

16 replies
scout106 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 17

Well. I'm not vey good at this....I posted the picture of the disney princess cake above.  I found this cake and would love to make something similar.  If I can get the edible images printed, what is the best way to attach to the cake. Would I attach the picture to a piece fondant or gum paste prior to attaching?   I want to make a buttercream cake...not fondant.  Also, how do you make the "frame" around each picture?  Would you do that as a whole picture before attaching to the cake?

Thanks!

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 17

You could attach the image directly to the cake and add a frame around it, or you could put them on fondant, build the frame, and attach. I would use a scalloped type cookie cutter to give the fondant the shape and build it as one piece. You can attach fondant to buttercream with a little water, edible glue, or melted chocolate. The most important thing is that the plaque isn't too heavy so that it doesn't slide down or fall off.

scout106 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 17

Thanks, ypierce82!  So you think it would be easier to put the image on a piece of fondant, and build the frame and apply the entire thing to the cake?  I guess it would be best to make the fondant backing as thin as possible?  Thanks so much for your help!

scout106 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 17

Another thought,  should i make the fondant backing in advance and allow to harden, then apply the image or apply the image to softer fondant and apply to cake?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 17

You're welcome. I'm sure someone will think of something that I didn't lol you want to keep the fondant a little thinner, but not paper thin; if that makes any sense. I usually build the frame and then attach, only because if I need to pull something off and rearrange it, it won't pull icing off, too. I wouldn't let it harden all of the way just in case a part of it needs to form to the cake. Like if it is a circle vs blossom cutter. I hope I'm making sense, I'm running on an hour of sleep lol

scout106 Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 17

thanks for your help!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Aug 2019 , 7:50pm
post #8 of 17

I would do exactly as ypierce82 suggested,  roll fondant fairly thinly, about 1/8", apply the image, then build the frame prior to adding to the cake.  You could still add details, like the little teardrop shaped pieces, after the plaque is attached.  If you want to make them in advance, use a cake dummy or pan to form the curve of the cake so they will fit snuggly when applied to the cake.  They would be easier to handle if you let them set up for a few hours or over night.

If you are making this cake for someone in your family and you will be serving the cake, you could use images printed on plain paper with regular ink, since  it will not be touching the cake.  Be sure you are around so the plaques can be removed prior to serving.

scout106 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 17

Thanks so much for your help and advice!!!!

scout106 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 17

Also, SandraSmley, if I used plain paper, what is the best way to attach to fondant backing?

scout106 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 17

Also, SandraSmley, if I used plain paper, what is the best way to attach to fondant backing?

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 5:36pm
post #12 of 17

I used just a tiny amount of shortening.  Too much will soak through the paper.  A better idea might be to use photo paper, which has a coating that would prevent soaking through.

scout106 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 9:46pm
post #13 of 17

thanks again!

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 5:18pm
post #14 of 17

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 17

That's my cake.

The images were attached directly to the sugar paste and were cut out into the flower shape to make making the frame easier. I used  a computer programme to print the flower shape over the image so they were all exactly the same.

The frame were made on the cake  by simply rolling out sausages of fondant which tapered at both ends. Place the "sausages" on the picture following the petal shape. Add a sugar pearl at the "sausages" ends to hide the join and add the teardrops.

scout106 Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 17

Your cake is beautiful, thanks so much!

SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%