Double Barrel Cake Help Please!

Decorating By LeighCakes Updated 1 Aug 2019 , 9:23am by Fabricake

LeighCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeighCakes Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 11:30am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a 5 tier (4"6"8"10"12") wedding cake with the 6"&10" tiers double height. I'm worried about transporting such tall cakes (particularly the 6" which will be taller than it is wide) as the wedding is over an hour away and it's very warm at the moment.

Would it be possible do you think, to travel with them as 2 cakes and stack them onsite, hiding the seam with softened/wet fondant. Has anyone done this and any suggestion as to how to achieve the most seamless finish?

I'm thinking that I could place a wax paper circle and then a cake drum on top of the bottom cake and then cover in fondant. Then when it comes to assembly, run an exacto knife around the cake under the drum on top, take the top drum off, leaving a nice straight edge to join up with the top half of the double barrel stacked above. 

The cake will be decorated with a cascade of flowers down the front, so the seam will be hidden to some extent, but it still needs to be as neat as possible all the way around. I can't find any tutorials suggesting it can be done this way :-(

Any advice or handholding will be gratefully received!!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 6

I am probably not following what you want to do exactly -- but if I do understand then I don't see why you don't just cover the cakes as normal and stack them up --

"leaving a nice straight edge to join up with the top half of the double barrel stacked above."

wouldn't it join to the bottom half of the double barrel --

you can deliver them all separate and assemble on site -- just add a ribbon border or smear some buttercream around if the joins need to be seamless -- or just have the fondant cover over the edges of the board the tiers are sitting on -- you'll need to carefully trim the cardboard circles so they are the exact correct size --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 6

also 

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 6

I would just make the double barrel cakes normally and to transport them safely, since it seems that you are concerned about them possibly toppling over (especially the 6") you could send a dowel down through the cake and into the cake board you are transporting it on.  Make sure you use a wide based board which will give the cake the leverage it needs to stay upright.  Then when you get on sight you can remove the dowel and then proceed to stack up the cake.

I would also make sure that the cakes were nice and cold because a cold cake transports better than a room temp cake.

Also, don't forget that you will need to dowel the lower cake of the double barrel cake to support the weight of top cake of the double barrel.  I hope that made sense.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

I do understand what you are saying about using the cake board on top of the bottom half, then removing it, but you would have to be perfectly precise, which is hard, to make it work as you envision.  As -K8memphis said, you can use buttercream, just a tiny bead smoothed with your finger tip, to seal the crack or I have premade fondant borders and kept them sealed in a plastic bag, so they remain nice and flexible, and applied them at the venue, after the tiers were stacked.  I like to use borders in the same color so as not to be obvious.

What Freckles0829 said about transporting chilled it key.  In addition to keeping the cake(s) in the refrigerator until time to leave, I always use Sedar Yener's homemade portable cooler, even in the winter.  It works a charm.

I've transported lots of double barrel tiers and never had a problem with them being unstable, but I do transport unstacked and finish at the venue.

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 1 Aug 2019 , 9:23am
post #6 of 6

Have you heard of a cake safe, I can't recommend them enough for transporting large cakes in one piece. Wouldn't be with out mine!

www.cakesafe.com 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%