New To Forum And Need Advice

Baking By zia5 Updated 22 Jul 2019 , 2:51am by SandraSmiley

zia5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zia5 Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 9

Hi I have a five tiered wedding cake to make . The problem is the lady wants the cake delivered wed 7th August. The wedding is the 9th August. I am worried if i get all the cakes finished by Tuesday will the be fresh enough to eat by the Friday?   I would be butter creaming on the Saturday and apply fondant on the Monday. All the cakes are different flavoured sponges.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 9

I would have told her about the process at the consult — but maybe you didn’t get a chance at that — I guarantee the cake to the cake table, after that all bets are off — it’s out of my hands — so she is going to drive it somewhere after that? potential recipe for disaster —

why does she want it so soon? a lot of peeps think cakes are made day of — she might be one of ‘em?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 3:22pm
post #3 of 9

you have to bake a week ahead of time though where you’ll be icing them six days in advance? 

could you at least bake Sunday although that’s still a looong time for them to sit — can you freeze them?

-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 9

welcome to cc -- and since you are a new member you are not able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue the discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want to continue and I hope you do — i’m very interested 

blush

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 9

My first question is do you have enough freezer room to bake ahead and even possibly fill, stack and buttercream then freeze ahead?  If so, then your freshness concerns will definitely be reduced a bit since you can keep things frozen until Sunday night.

Is there a reason the customer wants the cake 2 days prior to the wedding?

Do you have a contract stating that you are not responsible for the cake after delivery/pick-up?  That is a very large cake to put into the hands of a customer 2 days prior to an event.  I can just see issues occurring and the customer expecting you to fix things/reimburse them.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jul 2019 , 11:19pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with everyone else, sounds like a recipe for disaster!  Personally, I think freshness is the least concern here.  It is hard enough for a decorator to transport and set up a large cake and I can't imagine what will happen when people with no experience try it.  

Freezing would definitely be your friend, but as has been said, it is not your responsibility, once the cake has been delivered.

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jul 2019 , 12:17am
post #7 of 9

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 21 Jul 2019 , 9:03am
post #8 of 9

Part of being a pro is knowing when to say "no".  I would not leave a decorated cake sitting for two days.

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jul 2019 , 2:51am
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%