Advice Needed - Non-Refrigerated Mousse

Baking By ErinBakesCakes Updated 16 Jul 2019 , 9:48pm by -K8memphis

ErinBakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinBakesCakes Posted 13 Jul 2019 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone! I'm new here and looking for some advice. I am trying to figure out a way to make a chocolate mousse that doesn't need to be refrigerated after it's set. I am trying to make mousse-filled cupcakes for a wedding and the cupcakes will have to sit out in the reception hall unrefrigerated for a few hours. (Plus, running a baking business from my home means that I am not legally allowed to sell anything that requires refrigeration.)

I tried making some with Rich's Bettercreme but it didn't come out the consistency of mousse; it was far more dense and less airy.

The recipe I typically use for real chocolate mousse involves boiling part of the heavy cream, adding the gelatin, and then adding the semisweet chocolate to the hot cream/gelatin mixture. While that melts and cools a little I whip up the rest of the heavy cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar. Once that's been whipped into stiff peaks, I add the chocolate mixture to the whipped cream, gently mix it and refrigerate it until set.

So I did all that with the Bettercreme and it never even got to soft peaks and then, like I said, the end product was thick and creamy rather than light and whipped.

Is Rich's not supposed to be boiled? Basically, if anyone has a recipe for some kind of chocolate mousse that doesn't need to be kept refrigerated after it's set, please share it (whether it uses Bettercreme or not... I'm open to suggestions).

Thank you!

7 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 14 Jul 2019 , 12:12am
post #2 of 8

The very nature of mousse demands refrigeration.  I think the closest you're going to get is some kind of pudding and even then it probably won't be anything to write home about.  Sometimes the situation dictates what you make, as much as we don't like it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2019 , 5:37am
post #3 of 8

I agree with cakefan — 

what about something like  chocolate swiss  meringue — it’s not something I make but it should be light and chocolatey  — although some cf states don’t allow meringue icings —

there’s also whipped ganache 

-K8memphis Posted 14 Jul 2019 , 3:52pm
post #4 of 8

I've never boiled rich's bettercreme but my best guess would be that no it's not meant to be heated --

welcome to cc -- and since you are a new member you are not able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue the discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want to

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Jul 2019 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 8

My first thought, as -K8memphis suggested, is whipped ganache.  It's not mousse, but it does not require refrigeration.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 15 Jul 2019 , 5:17am
post #6 of 8

I'm with the others - I'd definitely be going with whipped ganache   :)

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 8

Doesn't ganache have cream?

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 9:48pm
post #8 of 8

yes but ganache is ok at room temp

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%