Fondant, Gum Paste, Or Other?

Decorating By HAshmore Updated 11 Jul 2019 , 4:07pm by SandraSmiley

HAshmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HAshmore Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 4

I’m planning on making an Avengers cake for my daughters birthday. She wants an infinity gauntlet figure standing up on the cake. My question is, what should I use to make it?  Whatever I use will need to be painted gold and have rock candy attached for the infinity stones. I was originally thinking of using modeling chocolate/candy clay but thought better of it since it may be too soft for what I’m needing. I also read that chocolate can be difficult to paint. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I know this is rather ambitious for a newbie but my daughter seems to enjoy challenging me.

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 4

i would use fondant with a good amount of cornstarch kneaded in to help it stay as sculpted, not flatten anywhere — and for it to dry better —fondant has a bit of give to it so it doesn’t shatter it break as easily  —and it is better imo for a task like this

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 4

for the “standing up on the cake” part insert a long skewer into one or both of the legs as you sculpt that can be sunk through the cake into the board underneath the cake for stability — you could also have a slice of styrofoam under the cake or use foamcore board —

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Jul 2019 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 4

-K8memphis's suggestion is ideal.  If you want to use modeling chocolate, it certainly does get firm enough to support the jewels.  I do most everything from modeling chocolate.  While I do some coloring, like makeup for eyes, lips and cheeks, using petal dusts either dry or mixed with alcohol,  I color my modeling chocolate the desired shade before making the piece, so not a lot of additional color is necessary.  Sometimes modeling chocolate can be a bit touchy to paint, but I don't think you would have any trouble with the Avenger Infinity Gauntlet.  This piece would be very heavy, if made from solid modeling chocolate.  I suggest making a basic shape from Rice Krispy Treats, then cover it with the modeling chocolate.  It will be much lighter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%