Why Won’T My Fondant Figures Keep Their Shape?

Baking By Kaycee19 Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 5:31pm by SandraSmiley

Kaycee19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaycee19 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 4

Whenever I make people figurines the torso tends to sag and bulge at the bottom. This time i mixed fondant with gum paste half and half but still having the same issue. See the pic, you can see how the figurine has like a beer belly lol. How do I fix this? Also any suggestions on attaching arms and legs? I take a small piece of toothpick and attach to sides with little water, but you can see the gaps at the armpit, how do I avoid that?

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 4

I do very few figures which do not have a wire armature, but when I do, I add a considerable amount of Tylose to the fondant to help it set up.  Personally, I prefer modeling chocolate.

Since your picture did not come through, I am not sure what is happening with your arms.  When I attach arms and lets to simple models without an armature, I cut them at an angle which helps them fit snuggly against the torso and, if needed, I use pieces of toothpicks to help secure them.  My glue of choice is made with Tylose and water, instead of plain water.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 4

great stuff, sandra 

and you can knead in some cornstarch to get the substance drier inside so it won't sag while it dries -- 

when I work with marzipan I roll a round ball of it and let it sit for a while to make sure it doesn't flatten out on me --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 4

One of my friends just posted this tutorial which should be very helpful with both the sagging problem and the best way to attach arms and legs.  This is how to make an adorable Persian cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssq90b-oEfw&feature=youtu.be

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%