Hi-Ratio Shortening

Baking By webberblessings Updated 30 Jun 2019 , 12:30am by mahtc2016

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 4

Which brand hi-ratio shortening do you use? I been researching which brand and came across articles about trans fat being removed some time ago and how it isn't the same so wondering which brand gives the smooth texture and great taste. Thanks.

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 4

I don't think any of it gives great results and tastes great without the trans fats.  If I am forced to use shortening, I just use Crisco, which is not yummy, but most of the time, use all butter.

zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

Since trans fats (PHO's and FHO's) are no longer GRAS and the entire industry had to anticipate the change.  Besides alternative mfg's who eschewed trans fats as a model, everyone's product has changed some.  Most however had a good year or so of development time to get ahead of the curve and have ensured that performance is quite similar.

Short story, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  just be aware of how your product performs now and figure out how to adjust should it be necessary.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 12:30am
post #4 of 4

I have tried several types this year, was ready to pull my hair out. I finally  settled  on Alpine soy flex. I use 1/2 Alpine and 1/2 Crisco. If the Alpine gets very cold it is hard to dip out of box and I need to use warmer water in icing. Alpine is about $49.00 for 50 lbs. I wish we could get 2 or 4 cup samples to try instead of buying 50 lbs at a time from supply houses .  The donut shop was kind enough to give me 4 cups of the brand they use  to try and it was awful. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%