Coating Gumpaste With Melted Chocolate

Sugar Work By Omagoodness Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 2:53pm by -K8memphis

Omagoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omagoodness Posted 11 Jun 2019 , 10:40am
post #1 of 8

I have gumpaste pieces to construct a bed frame for a cake. I am thinking about dipping each one in melted chocolate for a smooth finish. Will this work or just make a mess and ruin my gumpaste pieces?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2019 , 11:11am
post #2 of 8

I don’t think I would try it myself —

I guess it’s possible though — but dipping it cleanly is the problem — the chocolate would pool —  it would be very difficult to assemble it without marring the surface — but once assembled you could spray it with melted chocolate for a clean finish — well it kind of looks velvety though —

i mean gum paste should already be pretty smooth — 

Omagoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omagoodness Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 8

I agree.  I tried a piece to test.  It coated fine and looked good but then I realized that finger prints and melting would be a problem when assembling, as you said.  Even though I liked the finish, I decided to sand the gumpaste and use as is.  I really was more interested in the color of the chocolate.  I can never get mu gumpaste pieces perfectly smooth and when I paint it, it looks like something old and antique.  That's not the look I'm going for this time. Unfortunately I don't have a dark brown edible paint and no time to get it here,  I have to use gel color so I won't get the look I was after but, c'est le vie.

Thanks for your response.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 8

"I can never get my gumpaste pieces perfectly smooth "

do you use a rolling pin? 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 8

yes sanding is a great plan

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zjones4 Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 7:27am
post #7 of 8

I find that running my hand over the freshly rolled surface helps smooth out any sugar paste nicely.  Some need it more than others.  It also affects how it can take color and find it is easier to do delicate work when i hand polish the surface of my pieces.  Hope your piece turned out well!

-K8memphis Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 8

yes reminds me that also I run a blob of fondant over the surface of a fondant covered cake or fondant piece if need be — and just a blob big and smooth enough to hold onto on one side to rub/smooth with

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%