Coating Gumpaste With Melted Chocolate

Sugar Work By Omagoodness Updated 12 Jun 2019 , 4:44pm by MBalaska

Omagoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omagoodness Posted 11 Jun 2019 , 10:40am
post #1 of 6

I have gumpaste pieces to construct a bed frame for a cake. I am thinking about dipping each one in melted chocolate for a smooth finish. Will this work or just make a mess and ruin my gumpaste pieces?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jun 2019 , 11:11am
post #2 of 6

I don’t think I would try it myself —

I guess it’s possible though — but dipping it cleanly is the problem — the chocolate would pool —  it would be very difficult to assemble it without marring the surface — but once assembled you could spray it with melted chocolate for a clean finish — well it kind of looks velvety though —

i mean gum paste should already be pretty smooth — 

Omagoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omagoodness Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 6

I agree.  I tried a piece to test.  It coated fine and looked good but then I realized that finger prints and melting would be a problem when assembling, as you said.  Even though I liked the finish, I decided to sand the gumpaste and use as is.  I really was more interested in the color of the chocolate.  I can never get mu gumpaste pieces perfectly smooth and when I paint it, it looks like something old and antique.  That's not the look I'm going for this time. Unfortunately I don't have a dark brown edible paint and no time to get it here,  I have to use gel color so I won't get the look I was after but, c'est le vie.

Thanks for your response.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

"I can never get my gumpaste pieces perfectly smooth "

do you use a rolling pin? 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 3:24pm
post #5 of 6

yes sanding is a great plan

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%