The Evil Hot, Humid, Oh Nooo How Do I Save My Bc?

Decorating By Naty Updated 6 Jun 2019 , 11:55pm by -K8memphis

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 2:51am
post #1 of 18

Hello! So im back with my same issue with the 3 cakes for the baby shower in humid and very hot Miami in June in a park

17 replies
ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 3:09am
post #2 of 18

I recently did a couple baby shower cakes on a Florida beach. I boxed them, put them in a cooler with ice packs, and brought them out right before they were ready to serve them. Not much is going to withstand the direct heat of a Florida summer.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 8:59am
post #3 of 18

yeah the heat will melt them and if it’s gusty the flying sand will render them inedible — just gotta keep them protected until ready to serve — limit display time

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:07am
post #4 of 18

no, in the park watch out for bugs — just keep them protected or just let the planners do what they want — 

Naty Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:03am
post #5 of 18

For some reason the rest of my post disappeared...sorry....

So i have a couple of options for the 4 - 5 hour event outdoors

1) Indydebi's BC that needs no refrigeration 

2) frost with all shortening BC and keep refrigerated till delivery

3) freeeze iced cakes and let defrost at party

4) keep cakes with ice till serving.....but how do i do that for a 12 inch cake?

Thank you all!!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:35am
post #6 of 18

do not defrost frozen cake at party -/ it will sweat a lot — 

you need to keep them cold — just depends on how hot it is — all shortening icing melts at a higher temperature than butter but it does melt at about 115 degrees— if it’s breezy it will be more pleasant for people but can help convection the heat onto the icing  — five hours is a long long time to trust icing outside —

keep it secure in a sealed corrugated cardboard box with ice packs in there —

Naty Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 18

K8memphis, thank you for your reply. I can keep them in the boxes till serving time. Do you know where can i purchase the corrugated cardboard boxes? I need for 8x3, 10x3, and 12x3 cakes. Also, use regular ice pacs?

Thanks

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 18

I buy moving boxes — I wrap frozen blue ice packs with a paper towel and slide them into plastic bags and secure it into the corner of the box or underneath or wherever— because you don’t want it dripping and coming lose and damaging your work — you can probably buy those boxes at Walmart and places like that too— you could use any corrugated cardboard box — liquor stores usually give away boxes too

Naty Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 18

Thank you K8memphis! I will ck on that.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 18

This has worked well for me..add ice packs like K8 said. Very sturdy and lasts for s couple of years.

The Evil Hot, Humid, Oh Nooo How Do I Save My Bc?

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 6:33pm
post #11 of 18

holey moley mermade— moving boxes last for years too  — I mean that’s a gorgeous box though (seventy bucks?) — and moving boxes could be painted white — 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 18

Ha! I know :).

it was a Christmas gift from my mommy :). Doesn’t matter how old you get..most of them still like to swoop in and “save the day” :).

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 18

Naty

I see that MerMadeBakedGoods posted a suggestion I was going to make. Only rather buying a insulated box/bag, I have a DIY insulated cake delivery box by Avalon Cakes. I know it works, because a good professional decorator friend of mine made one. Said it has been a life saver. Hope this helps.

https://avaloncakesschool.com/delivery-box/

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 18

you’ve got a sweet momma, mermadebg 

jchuck Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 9:55pm
post #15 of 18

How fortunate for you MerMadeBakedGoods. What a great Mom!! I use to ask for cakey things (not necessarily something this big) for birthday/christmas. Even gift certificates to buy cakey stuff. Never happened, so I gave up.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 10:13pm
post #16 of 18

Aw, jchuck....I’m sorry :(. I’m sure you’re very deserving of gift certificates for cakey things!!!

I also think she was sick and tired of hearing me freak out every time I had to deliver a cake!! Well, joke’s on her ....I still panic!!!

jchuck Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 11:46pm
post #17 of 18

Ha Ha...delivering cakes is sooooo nerve racking!!  Transporting is just half of it. Getting into the venue and hoping there are no stairs ( had that happen a couple of times) setting up, hoping you haven’t forgotten anything. Then hoping cake will be fine until it’s cut.   I haven’t done a wedding cake since my son’s in 2015. I don’t sell cakes anymore. And I don’t miss the wedding cake stuff at all. My husband use to say I was deranged at delivery time!!!

My husband did give me a gift certificate to Michael’s once, but it’s outrageously expensive here in Canada. I’ve got several large cake decorating outlets not too far from me, but I’m not buying much decorating stuff anymore since it’s just a hobby.  Just fondant, colour gels, lustre dusts. I can get that locally at a store in town. 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 11:55pm
post #18 of 18

Quote by @MerMadeBakedGoods on 1 hour ago

I also think she was sick and tired of hearing me freak out every time I had to deliver a cake!! Well, joke’s on her ....I still panic!!!

you so funny!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%