How Do You Achieve This Satin Cake Finish?

Decorating By 61999 Updated 10 Jun 2019 , 7:46pm by CakeMBsurprise

61999 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
61999 Posted 2 Jun 2019 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 19

I've applied pearl and other luster dusts on cakes, but they don't look as even and as satiney/shimmery as this cake.

Any advice?

Thank you!

18 replies
KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 1:28am
post #2 of 19

I would use a metallic pearl paint and then spray it with a finishing/glaze spray for an extra shiny look.

61999 Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 6:43pm
post #3 of 19

By metallic pearl paint you mean luster dust with alcohol?  Any glaze in particular you recommend?

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 19

The best way that I have found to get that ultra shine is by rubbing a very thin, even layer of Trex (think it's Crisco in the USA but not sure) on fondant that has been drying for at least a couple of hours. Make sure that the whole cake is covered and that you haven't missed any patches. Take a large soft brush (I use a large makeup blusher brush, they are really cheap and very soft) Load the brush with pearl power, no need to knock off the excess power, brush the power on. Up, down or side to side whichever is easiest for you but it is very important that you only work in one direction for the whole of the cake. Don't mix the directions up as this will give you a blotchy finish. Put a tray or some paper under the cake so that you can reuse any powder than falls off. Once the cake is covered take another clean dry soft brush  and just lightly brush over the cake in the same direction as before. This polishes the cake and gives you the ultra shine you are after. The advantage of doing it this way is you don't get streaks  as you often do when painting on the pearl powder and alcohol. Disadvantages, it can do quite messy.

Fabricake Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 19

Sorry should have said "it can BE quite messy"

61999 Posted 3 Jun 2019 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 19

Thank you!

I am actually doing this on a dummy cake so it should be esier.  But if on a real cake, would you suggest the powder on the day after I wrap the cake with fondant?  I live in Florida (USA) where it is very hot, so I wrap my fondant cakes a day ahead then place in a box in the refrigerator for delivery next day.  Any recommendations on using this technique for real cake?  I know you said allow the fondant to dry, but it's on the cake only 24 hours before delivery.

post #7 of 19

Also, any thoughts or tips from anyone on doing the stencil over the satin finish?  ANything to be aware of?

post #8 of 19

Also, any thoughts or tips from anyone on doing the stencil over the satin finish?  ANything to be aware of?

KitchenSix Posted 7 Jun 2019 , 2:48am
post #9 of 19

I’ve bought the gold and silver in this brand, and I LOVE it.  Just paint it straight on your fondant or chocolate.  Here’s a link to a similar color to what is pictured.

I haven’t dabbled in stencils yet, so I can’t help you there, but maybe cake lace would be a good second option for the floral pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Dust-Metallic-Paint-Pearlescent/dp/B007NNR7NK?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_6796523011

61999 Posted 7 Jun 2019 , 5:08pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you!  I placed an order for the pearl and the silver - will let you all know how it goes.

KitchenSix Posted 7 Jun 2019 , 10:13pm
post #11 of 19

I can’t wait to see it!

CakeMBsurprise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMBsurprise Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 19

229x344
Use rejuvenating spirit, its a food grade ethanol and because it evaporates so quickly, it allows you to paint on the lustre dust with ease, but then you are left with this really shimmery satin finish.  I use the Faye Cahill Lustre Dust, but most others work just the same, and you want to apply this paint mixture with a large flat painters brush, and then buffer it once its dry with a  Kubuki brush.
Ive done this with the image here on the second tier.
KitchenSix Posted 9 Jun 2019 , 2:53am
post #13 of 19

That is a beautiful cake!

61999 Posted 9 Jun 2019 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 19

What a pretty cake CakeMBsurprise !

All the techniques sound great.  I think I am going to go with the crisco and soft make-up brush one.  Here we go!

Fabricake Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 7:54am
post #15 of 19

When I said let the cake dry as long as the cake isn't "sweaty" (very humid here) you will be ok. I've never stencilled over it but I have done brush embroidery with out a problem.

Fabricake Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 7:55am
post #16 of 19

Found this, exactly the way I do it 

Fabricake Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 8:00am
post #17 of 19

Video doesn't seem to be working , search for Kara Couture Cakes- How to apply a luster finish to cakes

61999 Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 1:53pm
post #18 of 19

That's the exact same video I found and the technique I did!  lol

The bottom tier came out nice.  I was hoping for more shine, but I am thinking that photography and lighting have a lot to do with how we "see" these cakes.  I am waiting on more elements to arrive for this display cake before I can finish it.

CakeMBsurprise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMBsurprise Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 7:46pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you @61999 the alcohol and pearl dust mix is less messy, and doesn't ruin your paint brush. Also, you can easily use a stencil of royal icing over it, just like i have done in the photo. Cant wait to see your design!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%