What Is "french Cream" Frosting?

Baking By Kashchei Updated 1 Jun 2019 , 4:13pm by SandraSmiley

Kashchei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kashchei Posted 31 May 2019 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hobbyist baker here.  I bought a couple cupcakes from a bakery that the seller told me was frosted with "French Cream" frosting (she is not the one who makes or frosts the cupcakes).  The only "French" frosting I know of is French buttercream, but I've never made it nor seen it in real life, so I wouldn't be able to identify it if I came across it.  

The frosting doesn't crust the way American buttercream can, no hard bits.  It has more of a "rubbery" feel, like you can even bend it a little and it will still hold its shaped edges, which are very sharp and defined.  It's a medium sweetness, I would say, way less than American buttercream, but it doesn't have the "buttery" flavor of my Swiss and Italian buttercreams.  Once you get past the exterior "skin" (it's more skin than crust), it's very light, almost like a whipped consistency and to my tastebuds almost seems to have a barely perceptible Cool Whip-y aftertaste.  I sort of feel like this can't be French buttercream, but I've never had it so...Does anyone know what this frosting might be?  I like my meringue buttercreams, but I would like to explore other frostings and I love the way this one held shape and wasn't as sweet as some bakery frostings.  I'd also like to find another frosting for people who may not like the "butteriness" of my buttercreams, something more for the standard American palette.  I'm including a photo for reference (the fuzzy edges are from me touching it to see what the consistency was).

What Is "french Cream" Frosting?

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 4

idk -- here's a wild guess -- maybe a hybrid of cooked flour bc and something to stiffen it like powdered sugar or royal icing or something?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

I've never heard of it or come across any frosting which meets the description.  Very intriguing!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 4

I found a couple of different recipes for French Cream Frosting and it sounds just like the traditional Ermine (cooked flour) frosting to me.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/108721/french-cream-frosting.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%