Rubik's Cube Cake!!

Baking By Macherie22 Updated 22 May 2019 , 6:12pm by Freckles0829

Macherie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Macherie22 Posted 21 May 2019 , 10:06pm
post #1 of 8

I normally just make cakes out of buttercream so I don't have much experience using fondant. Well I have someone who asked me to make a birthday cake for her husband that looks like a rubik's cube and I'm not sure what kind of fondant to use...do I need to make it homemade or is the stuff they have at craft stores good enough (like wilton)? Also, what size would be ideal? She says that she's going to have 40 people but doesn't want anything too big.

From what I see, these types of cakes are normally 6"x6", but that seems a little small?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 11:01pm
post #2 of 8

store bought fondant is fine — knead it well before using — an 8x8 inch cube would be 64 servings -- a 7x7 is 42 servings— and you’ll need to use a board at the four inch high mark and insert dowels — perfectly square cakes can be deceptively difficult to pull off — 

i would ice in buttercream and place little squares of dried fondant myself — but you might want to consider using candy clay too — nice tight corners take a high degree of expertise in whatever medium you use — marzipan would be cool too — dries nice makes perfect square corners, takes color brilliantly —

oh and I hope you are charging double or triple your base price!! you will earn it

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 May 2019 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 8

and I would recommend using black cocoa to make the black buttercream available on Amazon — 

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 21 May 2019 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 8

imho Fonderific works best for paneling. Cut, chill slightly, and 'glue' it on there. The seams will blend better then wilton fondant. 

Macherie22 Posted 22 May 2019 , 12:26am
post #5 of 8

Thank so much  for the advice! So the 6x6" cake yields about how many pieces? And what thickness would you recommend the fondant should be for the panels/squares?

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 22 May 2019 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 8

A 6" cube should yield about 16ish servings. I would roll out my fondant a little thinner then I would covering a round cake- probably no more then 1/8'' thick but its really up to you. Thicker fondant will be easier to handle and will also cover up imperfections in the buttercream. 

Macherie22 Posted 22 May 2019 , 5:42pm
post #7 of 8

thanks for the reply! I'm sorry for my ignorance..but I had 1 more question..do you think I should be covering the rubies' cube with 5 separate panels or should it be covered as 1 piece?

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 May 2019 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 8

I would cover it in separate panels.  I think you would get crisper corners that way, especially if you aren't well versed in fondant.

I follow this one baker on YouTube and she made a rubik's cube cake one time.  Of course you can completely ignore how she cut/stacks her cakes because the inside cubes are completely unnecessary.  But she does a decent job of explaining what she does along with the video.  And I am sure there are other videos out there to get a feel for what you want to do.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%