Which Edible Printer In 2019

Decorating By icingimages Updated 7 Jul 2019 , 2:18am by bakeforfun21

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 20 May 2019 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

I had someone PM me about which edible printer is the best.  Many of our posts are older and a bit outdated when it comes to which model to purchase.  So I wanted to do an update as some things are unique about choosing an edible printer this year.  

First, I still recommend a Canon over an Epson, for the same reasons that I have posted about in the past.  The Canon has a removable print head, the Epson does not. If a clog occurs it can be cleaned by removing the printhead in the Canon, however in the Epson, there is no removable printhead.  

WIthin the Canon edible cake printers, there are now some unique issues.  The latest model printers from Canon currently do not have refillable cartridges available. While we have edible cartridges, the chip on the cartridge will only allow you to use the edible ink cartridge once. We saw this problem coming at Icing Images and stocked up on the Canon TS6020 so we can continue to server our customer base biding time until the new series edible ink cartridges become available with the ARC chip (automatic refill chip). The Canon TS6020's edible ink cartridges are available with the ARC refillable chip.  The other option is the wide format printer that we offer.  This is the Canon ix6820.  This prints the large frosting sheets that are available as well as every other size icing sheet on the market.  It is a bit more expensive then the TS printer and is a little bit bigger as well.

The edible ink is always the most important part of your edible printer.  If you have a good quality ink, you will get vibrant colorful pictures and have very few clogging issues.  However, Amazon and Ebay have many sellers who sell all different levels of quality.  There are some products that are of high quality brand name, and some that are low quality, and I have even seen some that I question their food safety.  Never, ever skimp on edible ink.  The best way to save money with edible inks is to refills, you should never go with cheap, non branded edible inks. You will spend more time trying to get the printer to work or get the colors to come out bright. 

FDA approved:  Edible ink, frosting sheets, wafer paper.... all food is NOT approved by the FDA.  I know this may sound weird, but the FDA approves drugs.  They also have a list of "ingredients" that are approved for use.  When someone creates edible ink, or icing sheets, they use basic ingredients that the FDA approves to use to create a product. So what this means is that the new product that is made is FDA Compliant.  If someone advertised that their product is FDA approved, it is an easy way to tell that they do not know what they are talking about and are clearly not educated in food safety. 

Icing sheets/frosting sheets/sugar sheets:  They are all basically the same things; an edible paper used for edible printing and then laid on a cake, cookie, cupcake, or other confection.  There are only a handful of manufacturers of edible paper. Not all edible paper is the same.  We recently had someone contact us looking for a rear feed printer because they heard that their edible paper will crack if it is bottom fed.  This is not true of all edible papers.  Icing Images Premium Icing Sheets do not have that problem.  Be careful because many different companies call their sheets Premium, and they are not Icing Images Premium. There are some "premium" sheets that are made in other countries who do not have the same standards for food safety that we do and while Icing Images has tested them, we refuse to sell them due to instability of the sheet.  Icing Images sheets are 8.5x11", the icing goes edge to edge and it has a clear backing.  They are OU Kosher certified as well.  There are knock offs sold from an overseas country that do not have OU certification.  The foil bag they come in is dull and not shiny either. Other frosting sheets do not taste good and still others crack or wont remove easily from their backing.  The Icing Images brand is OU certified, have a great vanilla flavor, have edge to edge printing, remove easily from their backing, and are flexible as they resist cracking or falling off the backing. It kind of makes your head spin. There is no inexpensive icing sheets.  You will find all the prices are in the same range, so if that is the case, get the highest quality that tastes the best for the same price as other knockoffs. 

Service is key. If you purchase a product and if you have questions or problems, you want to know that you have someone to call for help.  I would suggest that if you are going to make the investment in to edible printing that you call that company and ask a few questions.  Get a feel that they know what they are talking about, and care about you the customer. 

So to recap, currently in 2019, the latest model edible printer is not the best choice as it cannot be refilled.  It is better to go with the TS6020 that is refillable and is pretty much the same as the newer model. Canon is the way to go since it has a removable printhead. Don't buy cheap unbranded edible ink. Look for a company that has been in the edible printing industry for a while, not a fly by night. The icing sheet/sugar sheet/frosting sheet industry has knock offs.  It is best to buy from a company that has been in the business for at least 10 years and has good customer service.  You need to have a company that is looking after you, their customer. 

If anyone has any questions, please ask.  I have been in this industry for over 20 years now. i hold awards for my service in the industry as well as our products. I am here to help!

Happy Printing!

7 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 20 May 2019 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 8

That was incredibly enlightening - thank you so much!!!!

icingimages Posted 20 May 2019 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 8

I am so glad I could help.  Please let me know if you have any questions!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 May 2019 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 8

i just love you, lady icing images purple_heart you rock!

icingimages Posted 20 May 2019 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks!!! That makes me smile in the middle of caos.

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 6 Jul 2019 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you for this post. I know you don't really reconvene the newer proceeds but I'm just starting out and i want to do an edible image cake next week. I saw the canon pixma mg2522 is on sale. Will that work for a starter printer? 

icingimages Posted 7 Jul 2019 , 1:38am
post #7 of 8

No, I am sorry it will not work.  You also want to be sure you are going to print regularly, meaning 1-2 times per week, otherwise, it is not worth it for you.   You will spend more time maintaining your printer then you will using it.  We do offer printing service as well on our website if that is helpful

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 7 Jul 2019 , 2:18am
post #8 of 8

Ok. Thanks for the information. I will check out your website for more info on the printers and your printing service.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%