American Meringue Buttercream Recipe, No Cook By Shannon Mayes Of 'the Sweet Spot'.

Decorating By MBalaska Updated 21 May 2019 , 9:07pm by abarker7

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 11

https://www.thesweetspotchannel.com/american-meringue-buttercream-recip

Thia is nice recipe called American Meringue Buttercream by The sweet spot by Shannon Mayes.   She has a tutorial video on her page. 

American Meringue Buttercream

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Heavy whipping Cream

3/4 Cup Carton Pasteurized Egg Whites

4 TBSP Meringue Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

2 lbs Powdered Sugar (preferrably C & H Brand)

2 lbs Unsalted Butter

2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

1/2 tsp Butter Flavor

Place Cream and Egg Whites in Mixer and whip on High with whisk attachment until light and frothy, 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Add in Meringue Powder, Salt and Powdered Sugar and whip on high for 5 minutes.

Continue mixing on low and add butter in 1 stick at a time, then add in Vanilla Extract and Butter Flavor.

Whip entire mixture on high for 6 minutes.

Switch to Paddle Attachment and mix on low for 3-5 minutes or until most of the air bubbles have been released.

Enjoy this amazing new kind of buttercream that is light, fluffy, not too sweet, not too buttery and delicious! 

https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3380110/red-rose-lace-cake-mbalaska-10-20-2016

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2019 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 11

This look interesting.  Have you tried it, MBalaska?

MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 7:36pm
post #3 of 11

Yes @SandraSmiley, I made it and used it on the cake that I put the link to above.  The red rose lace cake.

It was a nice frosting.  I just don't keep meringue powder, or whipping cream in the house so It is easier and cheaper for me to just make the Lauren Kitchens / Lizzo Marek quickie no cook SMBC recipe. 

The American Meringue Buttercream is a good frosting, and worth it to try once just to see how much you like it.  Give it a go.

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 19 May 2019 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 11

Very interesting, I need to try this recipe. Do you know if this buttercream can stay out of the fridge since the egg whites are not cooked?

MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 11
Pinned by The Sweet Spot
NOTE It makes a large batch of buttercream and can be halved or any leftover can be refrigerated for a week or frozen for up to 3 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=152&v=9xCAkF0cQFE

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 May 2019 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you, MBalaska!  I always have both on hand so will give it a go.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 19 May 2019 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 11

Hmm, this certainly sounds interesting. Like you MBalaska, I too do not keep cream, or heavy whipping cream on hand. I have a couple of cakes coming up, it’s grocery shopping week, I might buy some whipping cream and give this a whirl. I need a chocolate icing, so I can add some melted chocolate and cocoa powder. I’ll make a half recipe and see what I think of it.

MBalaska Posted 20 May 2019 , 2:06am
post #8 of 11

Why not give it a try?  You never know what you will love.  Everyone in my family hated the first SMBC that I made, so I cut the butter amount in half. Instead of 2 lbs. of butter I just added 1 lb. of butter, just as an experiment.  It was just the thing!  Now everyone loves it, and I'm thankful that I tried that new recipe.   Live and learn, try new things, and don't be afraid to make alterations to your own taste. 

You fabulous bakers already know this !!!!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 20 May 2019 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 11

Well MBalaska 

My family was exactly the same. They most certainly did not like smbc. I also cut the amount of butter in the recipe. My go to icing is cooked flour icing. Silky smooth, easy to make, and to me, less work than smbc. I call it the poor man’s smbc. My family loves it. I also love Liz Makek/Sugar Geeks faux smbc icing. Sort of similar to The Sweet Spot’s recipe you posted, with the exception of the cream. In this recipe you also don’t heat up the egg whites. You dump all the egg whites and icing sugar into your mixing bowl and whip everything up. Although when I make it, I warm the egg whites slightly, because it helps the icing sugar dissolve, and prevents any grittiness. That was a complaint about the Liz/Sugar Geek recipe, grittiness from undissolved icing sugar. One recipe I have run across just lately is German buttercream. Very intriguing. Instead of egg whites, it’s all egg yolks. Sounds very rich. You basically make the same as smbc by whipping up the egg yolks. But because I don’t make that many cakes, it’s hard to make icing that won’t get used up right away. Of course you can freeze. I’ve been toying with the idea of trying to make a very small batch of the German bc. 

MBalaska Posted 20 May 2019 , 5:12pm
post #10 of 11

love to hear about how you ladies frosting tests turn out.

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 21 May 2019 , 9:07pm
post #11 of 11

I've tried this recipe and found it way too buttery

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%