Topsy Turbo Cakes Not Baking In Center

Baking By CarpeSweetums Updated 17 May 2019 , 2:43pm by yortma

CarpeSweetums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarpeSweetums Posted 16 May 2019 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 3

I was baking for first time with my topsy turvy pans, 4”& 6”, excited not to have to spend time carving but it was a disaster. They will not bake in center. Tried baking at lower temp for longer & still raw hole in center. Tried using flower nail, raw center. Baked it till the top was burnt and still raw inside. I see others have experienced this but has anyone found a remedy aside from going back to carving out the cakes. 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 May 2019 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 3

Have you tried using baking strips around the pans?  You could also try covering the top with aluminum foil to prevent over browning on top.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 May 2019 , 2:43pm
post #3 of 3

I don't know what type pans you have, but I have Fat Daddio's topsy turvy pans.  I, too, found they are too deep to completely fill and bake as a single cake.  I fill the pans so that they are just an inch or two deep on the shallower side (so the opposite side is deeper).  I still use a heat nail, baking strips, lower temperature and longer bake time, and have no problem.  To make the height, bake standard rounds of the appropriate size (you can even go to a smaller diameter for the bottom if you are planning to taper in), as many as you need to get the height.  Once filled and stacked, you can carve the sides so they taper in as desired.  There is still some side carving, but it is nice to at least have the top surface and edges the nice sturdier baked edges from the TT pan.  HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%