Smbc Turned Out Too Soft

Baking By Natiflor09 Updated 15 May 2019 , 12:06am by bubs1stbirthday

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 14 May 2019 , 12:07am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I need some advice as to what to do with my SMBC

I made SMBC over the weekend and once it finally formed, I noticed it was too soft and creamy...almost like cold whipped cream. It's much creamier than its usual consistency which worries me a bit. I figure I could probably work with it okay while slightly colder than room temperature so it's a little firmer, but I'm not sure if it could present any issues further along, like once delivered, while decorating, during delivery??

7 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 14 May 2019 , 12:17am
post #2 of 8

The consistency of your finished SMBC is reliant on the degree to which you whip your egg white/sugar solution. It sounds like it wasn't whipped to stiff peaks before the butter was added?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:13am
post #3 of 8

Try adding a bit of powdered sugar to help thicken it.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:47am
post #4 of 8

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 2 hours ago

The consistency of your finished SMBC is reliant on the degree to which you whip your egg white/sugar solution. It sounds like it wasn't whipped to stiff peaks before the butter was added?

Agree whole heartedly !!

MBalaska Posted 14 May 2019 , 2:52am
post #5 of 8

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 38 minutes ago

Try adding a bit of powdered sugar to help thicken it.

and when I didn't beat them to still peaks, I've salvaged them with powdered sugar lol

Natiflor09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natiflor09 Posted 14 May 2019 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

Hmm well I left it to whip longer several times after having checked the stiffness. Oh well! Powdered sugar is a great idea, I didn't know that trick. I'll try it, thanks so much!

MBalaska Posted 14 May 2019 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 8

photo from the internet for reference.

Smbc Turned Out Too Soft

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 May 2019 , 12:06am
post #8 of 8

If you don't already do it I would suggest wiping over everything that will touch your egg whites before they are fully beaten with either white vinegar or lemon juice to remove any traces of grease as this can definitely cause the solution to not whip properly.

So I tip some vinegar in my saucepan (I use a saucepan in a double boiler set up to heat mine) then use that to wipe my hand whisk, my spatula, my beaters whisks, my bowl that I tip the egg white solution in to whisk them, the cup that I use to separate my whites in (I do them separately before tipping into the saucepan in case I break a yolk) and finally wipe over the pan and start cracking :-) .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%