Storing Swiss Meringue Buttercream Cakes

Decorating By Ashjm90 Updated 15 May 2019 , 12:05am by SandraSmiley

Ashjm90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashjm90 Posted 12 May 2019 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 4

Hello there,

I am hoping someone can help me, I am wondering what the best way to store an assembled, frosted Swiss Meringue Buttercream cake.

I normally use plain  buttercream and store it in the fridge but this time I want to use SMB for its smooth satiny finish. 

I do have to transport the cake (1 hour drive) and I normally refrigerate my cakes before transporting so they are more stable..

Soo.. back to my question, can i refrigerate a SMB cake overnight or does it need to be kept at room temp? 

And... what is the best way to transport a SMB cake? 

Thanks in advance :)

Ashjm90

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 May 2019 , 11:35pm
post #2 of 4

Absolutely, you can refrigerate it.  When chilled, the SMBC becomes very firm....read "sturdy"!  I like to keep my cakes cold with a portable cooler when transporting and it works beautifully!  Here is Sedar Yener's Portable Cooler.  The only thing I do differently is to have the opening on one end so you can slide the cake in and out instead of trying to lower it down into the box, then lift it out again.

abarker7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abarker7 Posted 14 May 2019 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 4

Wow, that's pretty neat!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 May 2019 , 12:05am
post #4 of 4

abarker7, you would not believe how well it works.  It has taken most of the stress out of deliveries for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%