Cake Pans

Baking By flawless1 Updated 14 Apr 2019 , 12:08am by SandraSmiley

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 10

Hello Everyone 

If a  cake recipe requires you to use (3) six inch pans can you double it and use (2) eight inch pans instead.

Thank You

9 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 9 Apr 2019 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 10

What height are the 6” pans??  6” x 1 1/2”,  6” x 2”, 6” x 3”?? And the 8” pan, what height is it?  This makes a big difference on the amount of batter in each pan.  You can google approximately how much batter needed in the 6” x  the height. Then a simple trick is to pour water in the amount of your batter into your 8” pan to see if the amount will work. Hope this helps.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 12:01am
post #3 of 10

oh i'm so sad -- I went to check cakulator and it said "account suspended" wah wah  -- I loved that place! so so helpful -- sniff

hope it comes back 

jchuck Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 12:13am
post #4 of 10

Another cake site bites the dust...boo Hoo Kate..

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

If my recipes called for three 6" pans, I would feel perfectly comfortable using two 8" pans.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 10

The area of a 6" pan is 28.25 sq inches. (pi x radius squared).  the area for 3 pans is 84.75 sq inches.  The area for 2 8 " pans is 100.5 square inches.  (For volume, multiply the bold numbers by the depth desired, but assuming you want the depth to be the same, I left that out of the calculations).   Your single recipe for 3 6" pans would fill the 2 8" pans but about 20% (1/5) less full.  If you double your recipe, you would have too much fo 2 8" pans.  You could either make 1.5 times your recipe which would be just about perfect (it would make 2 slightly fuller 8" pans), or double your recipe and make 3 slightly fuller 8" pans.  Freeze the extra for layer for later, or make cupcakes with the extra batter!  HTH

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2019 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 10

Quote by @yortma on 4 hours ago

The area of a 6" pan is 28.25 sq inches. (pi x radius squared).  the area for 3 pans is 84.75 sq inches.  The area for 2 8 " pans is 100.5 square inches.  (For volume, multiply the bold numbers by the depth desired, but assuming you want the depth to be the same, I left that out of the calculations).   Your single recipe for 3 6" pans would fill the 2 8" pans but about 20% (1/5) less full.  If you double your recipe, you would have too much fo 2 8" pans.  You could either make 1.5 times your recipe which would be just about perfect (it would make 2 slightly fuller 8" pans), or double your recipe and make 3 slightly fuller 8" pans.  Freeze the extra for layer for later, or make cupcakes with the extra batter!  HTH

yourtma you are brilliant -- and this is exactly why I loved the cakulator So Much! hahahaha

but still I could've gone to the wilton wedding cake data chart and checked out the volume listed there -- but I had already started nursing my broken heart for cakulator -- let's hope nobody blows out wilton's light --

flawless1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flawless1 Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you all for responding. The cake turned out great.

jchuck Posted 13 Apr 2019 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 10

Good to hear!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Apr 2019 , 12:08am
post #10 of 10

Great!  Post pictures!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%