Freezing A Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By SandraSmiley Updated 31 Mar 2019 , 2:39pm by SandraSmiley

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 3:16am
post #1 of 15

OK ladies, I've frozen cakes in all stages, but never one covered in fondant.  I have one tier frosted in buttercream and the other in milk chocolate ganache and planning to cover both with fondant.  I would like to go ahead and cover and stack them, then freeze.  Will this work?  If so, should I put them in their box seal well with plastic wrap and thaw in the fridge still sealed in the box?

It will only be in the freezer for two days, max.  

Thanks, cake geniuses!

14 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 3:24am
post #2 of 15

Absolutely! I had a whole 2 tier cake done for my niece and the date changed, so I needed to hold it. I put it in a box, wrapped with plastic wrap, froze it, moved it to the fridge the day before the party, and to the counter later that night for the next day. Worked perfectly.

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 3:27am
post #3 of 15

Thank you so much, ypierce82!  That is exactly how I planned to do it.  It is an Icing Smiles cake and I like to do as much as possible in advance, just in case something goes wrong and I need to go to plan B.

ypierce82 Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 4:00am
post #4 of 15

You're welcome. I also left it wrapped until the day of the party, I didn't know what to expect lol I hope you post it! You do incredible work! 

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 3:15pm
post #5 of 15

I will post it, ypierce82, unless I make a total disaster of it!  Nothing really fancy.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 28 Mar 2019 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 15

Sandra, I'm late to the party but I just wanted to tell you that your cake will probably be perfect - can't wait to see it.

I froze 2 single-tier cakes - 1 buttercream and 1 fondant - for a week and then put them in an ice chest with dry ice and drove 23 hours to Monterrey. The fondant went on the counter (still in the box) for the wedding the next day and the buttercream went in the fridge.  Two days later we pulled out the buttercream and let it sit on the counter while we went to graduation.  They both were perfect and moist and I was very pleased with them.

You'll be fine.  Go for it!

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 3:17am
post #7 of 15

Thank you cakefan92.  Well, I don't have to worry about freezing fondant because I could not get the tiers covered.  I started with the tier that was frosted with buttercream.  I was using Wilton fondant because I had it on hand to use with my models and was too lazy to make my usual LMF.  It was drying out and cracking as soon as I put it on the cake.  I took it off, kneaded in a lot of glycerine and a little Crisco and tried again.  No go.  This time, all the icing was falling off the cake.  WHAT THE HECK IS HAPPENING????

I gave up on fondant and repaired the buttercream.  Because I must have a white cake, I frosted the ganached tier with buttercream too.  I could not get it smooth and I am scared to death it is going to fall off the cake.  I have no clue what is wrong with it unless it is because I am using Crisco instead of the old high ratio Sweetex.  Thank goodness this is not a wedding cake!

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 15

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Mar 2019 , 3:48pm
post #9 of 15

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 2:51am
post #10 of 15

This is the cake that just about done me in!  I was unable to cover it with fondant.  The buttercream just turned to mush as soon as the fondant touched it.  I was luck to get it to stay on the cake because it really didn't even want to stick.  It's the #$%%&W*( Crisco, I know it is!  I wound up airbrushing the buttercream, which seemed to work fine.

Freezing A Fondant Covered Cake

ypierce82 Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 5:22am
post #11 of 15

Wilton fondant has been acting really wonky for me any time that I have needed to use it for something big or small! The cake turned out really nice! 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 15

You did a beautiful job! The subject matter is kind of interesting - - apparently I'm not up on the latest cartoon characters, but it's adorable in a macabre sort of way.  I love the drips.

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 15

ypierce82, I usually make my own marshmallow fondant, but had this on hand to use for models and decided to use it. It felt dry and started to crack as soon as I draped it over the cake.  I pulled it off and added a bunch of glycerine and a little Crisco and it felt better.  The major problem, though, was the frosting.  It was ABC made with all shortening because I was instructed that it had to be white.  As it turned out, I airbrushed it so it would have been OK with butter.  From the beginning, it appeared to be slightly split and, even though it was much, much stiffer than I usually make frosting, it lost it's crush as soon as I took it out of the fridge.  It was like trying to apply fondant over pudding.  I've  made buttercream with half butter and half Crisco (since transfats have been removed) and it worked better, but this is the first time using all Crisco.  It was even hard to frost the cake.  The icing didn't want to stick to it.  Weird, weird!  I was so happy it made it to the birthday party with the icing still attached!

SandraSmiley Posted 31 Mar 2019 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 15

cakefan92, thank you!  I had never heard of such a thing, had to Google it.  Pouring the "ink" all over the cake was my favorite part!

Thank you, ypierce82!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%