Milk Free Cake Recipe, Please

Baking By bulldog Updated 11 Oct 2005 , 5:29pm by bubblezmom

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 14

Hey guys, Does anyone have a milk-free cake recipe that tastes good? Does it hold it's shape? Any other information I should know? Thanks in advance.

13 replies
PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 14

Are you wanting a recipe from scratch or a mix? Are you looking for any particular flavor?

bulldog Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 14

Doesn't matter. I just wanted the easiest. Frankly, it is for a party that one particularly unlikeable little girl may or may not eat some. I know that sounds awful, but hey not all girls are made of sugar of spice. Thanks for responding. Let me know if you have anything.

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 12:52am
post #4 of 14

Just use any scratch recipe and replace the milk with soy milk. If it calls for buttermilk, add 1 T of lemon juice to each cup of soy milk. I also hear that Duncan Hines has non-dairy cake mixes, but you may want to check that out. A lot of mixes have whey in them, which is a milk product.

Ali

bulldog Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 1:10am
post #5 of 14

Thanks, very helpful. I will check that out.

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 1:14am
post #6 of 14

I don't know if you're looking for a particular flavor, but this is a really great chocolate cake recipe......it's a pretty old recipe, it's called a Depression Chocolate cake because it has no dairy in it.......I usually make it in a 9 X 13 pan but I'm sure it could be made in any sort of pan.

Chocolate Cake

Step 1:
3 Cups Flour
2 Cups Sugar > Mix Together
1/2 Cup Cocoa

Step 2:
1 Cup Oil
2 Tablespoons Vinegar > Stir In
1 Teaspoon Salt

Step 3:
2 Cups Warm Water
2 Teaspoons Vanilla > Beat
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda

Step 4:
Mix all together
Pam spray oblong pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Bake approximately 25 minutes
Check with toothpick

bulldog Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 1:27am
post #7 of 14

Sounds good and easy. Thanks for taking the time to help me. Without eggs, do you think it would hold up out of the pan?

PinkPanther Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 3:17am
post #8 of 14

Ok, I just looked at a box of Duncan Hines butter recipe mix, and there is no milk or milk products in that. I also have a good carrot cake recipe (from scratch) if you would like that. icon_smile.gif

bulldog Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 14

thank you, PinkPanther. I will def. check out the DH. Thanks. sure, the carrot cake sounds great!!

PinkPanther Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 2:48am
post #10 of 14

This is Julia Louis-Dreyfuss' recipe from an old issue of InStyle magazine. I get compliments every time I make it! icon_smile.gif

CARROT CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups granulated sugar

2 tsp. baking soda

2 tsp. baking powder

2 tsp. ground cinnamon

4 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 ½ cups vegetable oil

3 cups grated peeled carrots (about 10)

1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained

½ cup pecans, chopped

Icing:

½ cup unsalted butter, at room temp.

8 oz. cream cheese, at room temp.

2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 16-oz. box powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour three 8-in. round cake pans. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add the eggs and vegetable oil, and stir until well blended. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, and pecans, stirring until thoroughly blended. Pour one-third of the batter into each pan. Bake for 30 min. or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cakes in the pan for 15 min., then remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.

For icing: Place butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer set at medium speed, cream the butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Reduce the speed to low and then gradually beat in the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth. Frost the cake. Serves 8-10.

PinkPanther Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 3:01am
post #11 of 14

DUH! Sorry, I just realized she probably can't have the cream cheese icing. icon_redface.gif I was thinking of the cake itself, not the icing. icon_rolleyes.gif

bulldog Posted 6 Oct 2005 , 5:00pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for taking the time. The recipe sounds great!!!!

Aitza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aitza Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 14

The one I do for all my cakes its milkless.
I'm from Puerto Rico- I'm trying my best to translate in English my recipe- Hope wil help you.

5 bars of butter      
1 bar of nonsalted butter
2 cups of sugar  
1 cup of egg yolk
1 ½ cups of clear of the egg      
2 tablespoon of rum or brandy      
4 cups of Flour
1 tablesspoon of almond flavor

Beat butter for 5 minutes. First in low speed, soon to increase the speed and when butter already is creamy lower the speed. Add the sugar little by little, to let beat by 10 minutes. We must be separating the yolks and the clear ones. 4. To sift the flour. Add yolks one to one (speed 1). Add to the licor and the flavor of almond We passed the mixture to a greater container. Beat the clear ones, beat until they are on the verge of merengue, well creamy. Add the flour to the mixture of three times to way as if it was surrounding. To add the clear searches to the mixture and they are mixed having surrounded the mixture, NOT TO BEAT.
Oven @350. You can do 2 pans #8. bake for 50 minutes approx.
After 10 minutes cakes is done wet with syrop with spiral motion from outside to inside.
Ingredients for syrop
2 water cups 1 granulated sugar cup 1 small piece of cinnamon 2 to 3 pins of species 1 small piece starred anise 1 tablesspoon of rum or brandy and 1 tablespoon of almond flavor.

Any questions you can contact me

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 11 Oct 2005 , 5:29pm
post #14 of 14

Atiza, thank you for the recipe. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%