What She Wanted, What She Got!

Decorating By KitchenSix Updated 15 Mar 2019 , 3:31pm by SandraSmiley

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 11

We all know about these kinds of photos! Does anyone have any ‘what she wanted and what she got photos’?  I’m curious if anyone that was turned down due to price found out what kind of cheaper cake the client got!  I’d love to see the photos!  I know I’ve checked some of my turn-downs, but no photos!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 11

good question -- that would be cool to see

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Mar 2019 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 11

It would be cool, but I don't have any.

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 11

I have several examples of this but I don't feel compforatable posting someone else's pictures. For the most part, at least the ones I've seen, look pretty bad- for sure nothing I would ever sell. As with many things in life, quality comes with cost.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 11

yes you're right, canadian160, and all the pictures can be googled too and it could get back to folks -- wah wah

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 11

Have you checked out the cake wrecks website? There are loads of “what they wanted vs what they got” cakes. And hilarious spelling mistakes and misunderstandings.

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 11

My dumb self has not been able to find the gallery on that website, haha

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 11:48am
post #8 of 11

@KitchenSix I don't believe there is a photo gallery.  You just have to go through the blog posts.

And even though I have gotten some great laughs from Cake Wrecks, I really enjoy their Sunday Sweets posts.  Many times if I want inspiration for cakes I will go there and look through all of those posts.

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Mar 2019 , 4:30pm
post #9 of 11

I agree that it would be best not to post someone else's cake in a critical light.  Even if they are a major fail, compared to more professional cakes, someone put a lot of time and love into the making.  I always feel sorry for the bakers when others make fun of them.  EXCEPT for the ones from big box stores with things like "name and date" instead of the recipient's name and his date of birth.  I have no mercy for them whatsoever.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 4:24am
post #10 of 11

Yeah... I feel bad for SOME too. How about the bakers who misrepresent their skills with hijacked photos? Or those who commit to do techniques they don't know or don't practice? Some are true innocents who had a bad day...and others have no business accepting the contract to make something they are incapable of. 

Oh... and the cheap client who thought a $200 cake baker would/ could perform like a $1,000 cake baker. Ya know? 

OK...just the devil in me sometimes..... ;) 

We have all suffered "cake fails", in varying degrees....it sucks....for sure!

SandraSmiley Posted 15 Mar 2019 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 11

I guess I am thinking that most of the cake wrecks are made by inexperienced home bakers who are making something special for a family member.  The people who steal other's designs and post them as their own are ridiculous.  More power to them trying to duplicate the things they post.  I really would not want to open myself up to that kind of ridicule!

The devil in my has to be smacked down HARD when I comes to people trying to cheap out on cakes.  I know some of them are just ignorant and do not realize the cost, time and expertise involved in a bespoke cake, but I also know that a lot of people are greedy and think they are entitled to whatever they want, no matter the expense to others.  The devil in my wants to rip off their entitled faces!  I could never be a cake decorator!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%