Cake Layers/sizing....silly Questions.

Decorating By missmersh Updated 5 Oct 2005 , 2:37pm by peacockplace

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!
Ok...I have searched and searched, so that I wouldn't duplicate a question...but I can't find exactly what I was looking for...and this may sound terribly silly, but I have several questions.

1. When you are talking layers for a wedding cake and you make a 6,9,12 tiered cake....is each tier 2 layers (meaning 2 - 6x2 inch cakes, 2 -9x2 inch, 2- 12x2inch)? Or is it 1 layer of each torted? What if 3 inch pans are used? Is one layer considered one cake pans worth?

2. How many times does it need to be torted for a wedding cake?
I have seen some wedding cakes where each tier is torted about 4 times. Is this two cake pans each torted once and layered to make one tier? Could you possibly have two layers of a size and just fill between the layers? Torting scares me. LOL

3. I think I know the answer to this one, but just wanted to ask just in case....would a 6,9,12 tiered cake look ok? How may should that feed given the facts that the top tier WILL NOT be saved, and there will be hidden dowels in the cakes?

4. How risky would it be to use the hidden dowel system and transporting the cake aready assembled?

Sorry for all the questions!!!! I try my hardest to find answers on my own, but just couldn't find the exact answers I was looking for.

Thank you all for any advise!!!
Leslie

7 replies
TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 8

If you are using 2 in pans then I would make 2 of each size cake and cut those in half to make the cake. That makes about a 4 inch high cake for each layer. That will give you the heighth you'll want to decorate. If you use a 3 in deep pan, I think you would only use one cake and torte that one (though I've never made a 3 inch cake before).

You can torte it as many times as you like--but I typically only cut each cake in half. That makes 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. There are a couple of ways to torte it without too much difficulty. I use the little wire torte blade from Wilton, it's fabulous! Doesn't work for over 12 inches wide though. They do make them for larger cakes. If you don't torte it will make for a lot of cake but it can be done.

I think the sizes are fine - what shape are you using? You can be creative with any size really. I don't have the list of how much that would feed in front of me, but I'm sure someone out there knows that off the top of their head. thumbs_up.gif

I personally don't like to transport my cakes finished, but others here swear by it. Everyone has their preference.

Good luck!

Traci

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 8

Hello,

I am making my first paid tiered cake for this weekend. It is 8-12-16. I have a 3 inch pan for the 8 inch which I will just cut in half and fill. For the 12 and 16 inch layers, I only have 2 deep pans, so I am making 2 each of those sizes and stack them together. I am not going to attempt to carry it assembled. I'm sure people do, but I don't want to risk it! icon_surprised.gif Here is Wilton's guide for wedding cake servings.

For 2-inch pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_2inch.cfm

and for 3-inch pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_3inch.cfm

Hope this helps and good luck! thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 8

Just my opinion, but two 2" cake is a must. Torted it gives four layers to the cake. I just find that the it looks better to have the extra height than using a 3" pan. I know some people on here do use the 3" pans though. I have delivered an assembeled cake using the stress free support system, but not sure about the kind you are going to use.

Keliames Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keliames Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 2:30am
post #5 of 8

peacockplace,
can you tell me what the stress free support system is. I have never heard of this. Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks. Keli

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 7:05am
post #6 of 8

Thanks gals!
You all answered my questions!!!!!!! I feel much more enlightened about the layers now. I usually never torte my party cakes, unless I am asked to do so. But I know wedding cakes are different and I just wasn't understanding the construction. Now I do!

As far as the support system. I am considering the hidden dowels with the plates like another cc member(I cannot remember her name right this second) uses and has given instructions on how to do. Is the stress free support system the one where you sharpen the end of a long dowel and kind of hammer it through all the layers? I am just too scared to do that. I may test it out one of these days. It seems if I try something, that I am not as intimidated by it. lol

Thank you all again! Your insight has helped me tremendously!
Leslie

DiH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiH Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmersh

1. When you are talking layers for a wedding cake and you make a 6,9,12 tiered cake....is each tier 2 layers (meaning 2 - 6x2 inch cakes, 2 -9x2 inch, 2- 12x2inch)? Or is it 1 layer of each torted?

I realize that you've already gotten your answer but I thought I'd add this. According to Martha, "For each tier, split each layer in half horizontally with a serrated knife to make 4 pieces total."

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 2:37pm
post #8 of 8

The stress free support system is made of metal rings that have pegs that screw on so that it can't slip and fall. I love mine!!! They are a little pricy, but totally worth it to me. You can get all the information at www.earlenescakes.com there's a ling for the stress free support system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%