Armadillo Color

Decorating By KatyN Updated 12 Mar 2019 , 12:27am by SandraSmiley

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 10:13am
post #1 of 12

For those who have made an armadillo cake before....Do you think an airbrush would be necessary?

I was wondering if the same coloration might be achieved by starting with some grey buttercream, and painting on shades of brown, green etc.

Thoughts?

also - i have yet to see some dust colors that are matte, without the shiny pearl finish.  Has anyone found anything like that?

Thanks

11 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 12

You want to look for petal dust for a matte finish.  I just ordered a few from Global Sugar Art (https://www.globalsugarart.com/cake/decorating-dusts/petal.html) the other day.  They have pretty much every color you can think of or need.  But you can also find them through other cake decorating sites or Amazon.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 12

You definitely do not need an airbrush to paint your armadillo!  If he will be all buttercream, you can achieve the color, as you described, by using different browns and grays with maybe a few touches of green.  You can use petal dusts or gel colors.  If you are using fondant, a medium gray base would be a good place to start.  Details and highlights can be added by dry brushing petal dusts or mixing dusts or gel colors with alcohol and painting on with a brush.

I order most of my petal dusts from Global Sugar Art, as well.  I like the Roxie & Rich brand for the vibrant colors  and even their metallics have been approved as food safe.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 12

and any good armadillo will have a few insect body parts & leg crumbs around it's mouth/chin > shudder <

now i'm gonna have nightmares stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

but you can use paint and you can brush on some petal dust and or cocoa powder to put shade in areas too

-K8memphis Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 12

and I was just kiddin' about the insect crumbs -- but aren't they a gross little animal?

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Mar 2019 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 12

I think they are cute, but then I love all animals.  When I was in college (100 years ago) a student had an armadillo as a pet and he had it outside letting it root around and eat.  That is the only live one I've ever seen.  They have finally spread to our part of the country, but the only ones I've seen are dead on the road.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 12:27am
post #7 of 12

sloths and armadillos and a few other animals give me the creeps -- just not cake material to moi

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 12:31am
post #8 of 12

I think sloths are cute too!  Told you I am an animal lover!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Mar 2019 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 12

you would laughing they really creep me out -- and when I was a kid my brother's raccoon messed on my shirley temple story book (aka my christmas present -- was a lean year :) and it left a terrible stain -- so as cute as they are raccoons are out too hahahaha but I love pandas and elephants and a lot of others -- don't get me going about the squirrels in the attic hahahaahha

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Mar 2019 , 12:17am
post #10 of 12

There are a lot of things about wild animals that are very irritating to me, for instance, I cannot have flowers or a garden because we have tons of deer, but I love to watch the deer and am happy they feel safe in our yard (which is huge and surrounded by woods.  The hateful raccoons steal the catfood all the time, even though the cats have a fence around them that nothing else can breech.  Dang raccoons can climb it like it wasn't there because they have thumbs.  But....they have to live too, so I just fuss at them and let them go about their business.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 9 Mar 2019 , 2:43am
post #11 of 12

Appreciate the suggestions.  Doing some ordering tonight!

armadillos are common here - opposums too.  Usually here them on the porch at night.  Kinda cute...when they’re not getting into mischief!

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Mar 2019 , 12:27am
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%