Stumped By Isomalt!

Decorating By Loopy88 Updated 4 Mar 2019 , 4:02pm by -K8memphis

Loopy88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loopy88 Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 2

This is my very first post but I've often found answers here via Google. I'm very new to baking and wanted to use isomat in shaker cookies (with a clear glass center). I got the CK brand of isomalt and set about tempering it. 

I got a nice clear glass finish, completed my cookies, took lovely pictures and left the royal icing to set. This morning I was so disappointed my nice clear isomalt was all gross and kind of bubbled over (I'm not sure exactly what was going on, bubbles or re crystalizing) but I have no idea how they got so cloudy and weird looking! 

I'm thinking perhaps I took them off heat just a bit too soon (was aiming for 330 degrees but not using a digital thermometer). Has anyone has nice clear isomalt go wonky sometime over 12 hours after pouring? Trying to confirm where I went wrong! 

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Mar 2019 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 2

do you have the isomalt touching anything -- it might have leeched some moisture out of whatever it touches -- not to mention it will grab it from the air too -- bubbles you can often remove with a blowtorch -- and isomalt causes major gastric distress -- it's not something you want to serve to anyone --

an idea for you is to melt jolly ranchers candy if you are in the states -- any hard sugar candy like that will melt in the oven and it won't hurt anyone's tummy -- or carefully carefully ever so carefully make it yourself:

https://www.lorannoils.com/icicle-candy-r0195

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%