Yep, Price Comparison!

Business By KitchenSix Updated 28 Feb 2019 , 2:59am by KitchenSix

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 8

Super busy on forums lately!  I’ve been going through and rethinking my pricing.  Sometimes I feel like I’m charging too much, and other times I know I could charge more, such as my ‘basic decoration’ forum.  So much to think about, and ever learning!

ANYHOO, I haven’t seen a whole lot for figures, and currently, I’m feeling like I’ve overcharged on a past cake— it came up when someone asked what I’d charge for it now.  I can do this cake better today than I did last year, but I’m curious, how do charge for your toppers?  What would you personally charge for a cake similar to this?

I’m not asking HOW I should charge, but I want to know what you personally would charge!  Call me a sucker, but I love seeing the difference price ranges, and I think it’s good for those of us still trying to get a grip!

This is a 6”, chocolate cake, vanilla SMBC, ganache Yep, Price Comparison!drip, sprinkles, and plenty of modeling chocolate work.

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 8

I would charge my base price plus $20 for the unicorn and $5 for the ganache -- but I would give it as all one price for the cake -- because then people start haggling -- but sometimes it can't be helped --

and if you can do it better/faster now -- that is your raise -- don't sell it any cheaper than before -- that's your bonus not the client's kwim

I like the way you are doing this price re-evaluation thumbsup but yeah more folks will pipe up soon

best 2u blush

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 8

How many layers and did you put a cake board in the middle?  Cause that would basically double the number of servings.

KitchenSix Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 8

All my cakes are 2 torted layers, so 4 half layers, I’d you will.  This cake is only 4-5 inches tall; no middle cake board.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 8

I would charge $60 for the basic cake, plus $15 for the unicorn and $10 for the rainbow (since that's so simple) and little balls, so $85 for the whole thing.  Sprinkles are basically absorbed into the cost since I rarely use them (I personally HATE sprinkles).

KitchenSix Posted 27 Feb 2019 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 8

My original breakdown of the cake was this, for $80.

$33 for the cake— $2.75serving (I do $3 now)

$25 was the original price for that unicorn, but I think $20 would actually be more appropriate, because looking at it now, it’s actually not that complex.

$5 for the ganache drip, which I also now think may be a bit much.

$15 for the rainbow and balls, because I don’t like mixing a ton of different colors, so I tend to charge more for 3+ colors.

And then an extra $2 for sprinkles, because it was a lot of sprinkles.

I just got to thinking about it, cause I’m not in the best area for this trade, so I’m trying to find a way to attract more customers, so the first thing, of course, is price.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 2:46am
post #7 of 8

6” cake: $42 ($3.50/slice for buttercream cakes)

rainbow + Balls: $15

3D unicorn: $15

ganache: $3

Sprinkles/cake board: comes with base price of cake 

Total: $75

KitchenSix Posted 28 Feb 2019 , 2:59am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your input so far! It looks like even though some of my pricing was maybe a little misbalanced, that $80 still wouldn’t be too far off the mark!  And like k8memphis said, it can’t be too bad to make a little extra for yourself even if some pricing fluctuated!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%