Circle Ruffles!

Decorating By KitchenSix Updated 25 Feb 2019 , 4:14pm by jchuck

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 3:26am
post #1 of 6

Hey guys! I’m doing a circle ruffled cake soon, and was planning on adhering the ruffles directly onto some frozen buttercream, probably with some piping gel.  But then I got to thinking, once the cake starts coming to room temperature, would my ruffles start to slip?  I work with modeling chocolate and not fondant, if that makes a difference.

So what are huge experiences?  Would I be ok with just the buttercream, or should I take the extra step and cover my cake first?  

Thank you for your knowledge and experiences!

5 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 12:54pm
post #2 of 6

I’ve never attached ruffles to a buttercream covered cake, only fondant covered cake. But firstly I’d make the ruffles as thin as possible. The heavier they are, more chance of falling off. And I would attach the ruffles after buttercream has crusted and is firm. And I would attach the ruffles with royal icing, as once royal icing dries, it’s like cement!! Those ruffles aren’t going anywhere.

KitchenSix Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 6

Oh, I hadn’t thought of royal icing!  I may go ahead and play it safe and attach to a covered cake, since that seems to be the go-to! 

jchuck Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 6

Good luck. Royal icing is my go too for attaching most elements to my cakes. Dries fast, pieces adhere quickly and stay put. 

KitchenSix Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks! I’ll probsbly try ruffles on buttercream for a personal cake, but not for a public event cake!

jchuck Posted 25 Feb 2019 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 6

You could try the ruffle/buttercream on a cake dummy. See after a few hours how everything holds up. Another thing I didn’t factor in is the weather. Don’t know where you’re situated. It’s a very cold winter where I am. And buttercream cakes are much easier to deal with then as opposed to hot and humid summer weather. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%