Be Careful What You Wish For.........

Decorating By bookbabe Updated 5 Oct 2005 , 12:33am by _ChristyB_

bookbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bookbabe Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 16

okay, am I the only one who feels this way?? I've been doing cakes for "fun" for a while and I'm trying to get people interested in having me make them for $$!! Well, all of a sudden, several people have asked me about making cakes for important events--graduations, bar mitzvah and birthdays--and actually paying me. I know I can do it but I have a deep sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach--what if I screw it up??? I don't want to be the one to cause a glitch in an important day. How do you quiet that nagging voice in your head? Or am I just plain nuts???

icon_confused.gif

15 replies
Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 16

You're not nuts!! I go through this everytime I have a paid order. I just stress myself out to no end. Don't worry about it, everything will turn out wonderful!!

A shot of Tequila helps too!! just playing!!

bulldog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulldog Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 16

No, I have that same nasty little voice. I worry before the cake, and even after they have it, b/c I'm afraid they won't like it. I drink margarita's, icon_lol.gif but do whatever works for you.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 16

You are just plain nuts! Just kidding. I know how you feel. I just did a car cake and I was extremely disappointed with how it came out. I felt guilty it didn't come out better but the customer loved it. She raved about it. I still don't understand why and I'm still not happy with the cake, but she was and that's what matters. We are our own worst critics and very hard on ourselves. I'm sure your cakes are fantastic! Otherwise your friends and family wouldn't keep asking you to make them and now pay you for them. You can do it! The people on here are the best advisors! If you ever have any questions, even if you think they are silly, always ask on this website. You'll get a ton of help and useful info. Good luck!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 16

Okay...... take a DEEP breath. let it out... You will be fine!!!!!!!! One good thing to remember is start slow! Take it one cake at a time. We all had to start with that first "paid" cake icon_surprised.gif It will get easier with each one that you do. Confidence will build and yes there will be mishaps along the way but each will be a learning experience. Congratulations on reaching the next step in your decorating experience!!!!! Remember the good folks here at CC will always be at your beck and call to give support and advice.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 16

Oh gosh, I could have written this exact same post. I feel like I'm going to screw up every single time. Like others mentioned, we are hardest on ourselves. And we know that, yet it doesn't make it any easier. I wasn't happy at all with a cake I just did for a bridal shower but the people just loved it. I was like...are you kidding?...it's UGLY! But they thought otherwise and had really very nice comments on it. I could see every flaw in it and assumed they all could too. The thing is, I think since we all are obsessed ( or at least I am icon_biggrin.gif) over cakes and how they are decorated, we strive for " perfection".

Anyway, no you're not alone!!
KimAZ

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 16

It's so easy to let yourself get all worked up. I used to get a migraine the day after I did a big cake because I had gotten so stressed. Now I plan ahead, I know when I'm making icing, when I'm baking, when I'm decorating. I try to have as much as possible done well in advance, such as color flow items, gum paste flowers, fondant bows, so that all I have to do is assembly when it gets close. I try to get a good idea of what it'll look like so I can sketch it out first. Since I've been preparing better I like the way my cakes look now and I sometimes have time to do a little extra, like make a ribbon bow for the box top. This weekend I did a cake for a prominent businesswoman in town's daughter's birthday. I never did a cake for her before and she was a pleasure to work with (I like when they trust your creative abilities and let you do what you think'll look good!), so I made her up a dozen chocolate covered strawberries and boxed them up (very cheap and easy to do). She thought it was the best thing ever and passed out my cards to all of her guests!
Anyway, after all of my long winded-ness, just know that the more that you do, the easier it'll get. Now, I have a friend who's been doing it for 35 years, and she'll do 7 or 8 cakes and not blink an eye! That, I'm light years away from!

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 16

No, you're not nuts. I was asked to do a wedding cake and was so thrilled that I smiled for probably an hour or two after being asked (lol). But, then...oh, no, I thought why did I agree to this? I still wanted to give it a try but unfortunately, the order was cancelled and I was soooooo relieved, a bit disappointed but relieved. I think if at all possible, the best thing to do is practice, practice, practice. I keep saying I'm going to but haven't done much lately. Anyway, as long as you're prepared, get your design sketched out, then just do everthing in steps, make icing, bake cake(s), etc., you will be fine. You can do it!!

bookbabe Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 16

okay, it's very good to know I'm not the only one! I am very critical of my work and it seems amateurish to me--but everyone else seems to like it.

The tequila idea would probably help me, too!!

icon_smile.gif

thanks all!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 16

Congratulations on your orders.

Take a deep breath...let it out slowly...now get to baking. thumbs_up.gif

I go through this everytime I do a cake.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:52pm
post #11 of 16

Don't worry you're not the only one who thinks like that!!! In one way I can't wait until I start making cakes for people other than family members but in another way just thinking about it makes my tummy hurt!! I guess everyone goes through this right??

Good luck on your orders!! I'm sure you'll be okay once you start making them.

ellepal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellepal Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 16

I relate...every time I make a cake, I am horrified something will go wrong with it. I am paranoid that someone is going get salmonella from the egg whites, or that the cake may taste funny. None of this has ever happened, of course, and everyone is always happy with it, but I get very weird about it!! It's all psychological!

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 16

We all are so hard on ourselves. You can do it. If they did not feel you can get the job done you would not have been asked to do the job.

Congratulations and you can do it. Good Luck Think Positive.
thumbs_up.gif

bookbabe Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 16

you know twindees I really love your slogan at the bottom ("good cakes..."). I think I'm going to remember that one!

thanks again!

PinkPanther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkPanther Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:46pm
post #15 of 16

I am so glad to know that other people feel this way too! Excitement and dread all at once! I also dream about decorating the cake the night before I have to do it. Ha!

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 5 Oct 2005 , 12:33am
post #16 of 16

Bookbabe - I am sure you will do great! I have only been doing cakes since April and my first paying order was a very simple cake, thank goodness, but they have definately started adding up. Normally I have a t least 4 cakes a week. But I have had 15 in a week and of course they usually end up all being for the weekend! You can do it, girl!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%