Pricing And Selection For 2019

Business By SidselMunkholm Updated 14 Feb 2019 , 4:59am by OHaresTstyTrts

SidselMunkholm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SidselMunkholm Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

I was looking at all the pricing cakes for restaurants and there is nothing really current. (most replies on here are from 2007 and earlier)  I approached a local restaurant about them maybe selling my cakes in slices for desserts.  I make a chocolate 3 layer cake from scratch which is getting to be really well known in my neck of the woods.  But... how do I price it?  I know my cost, I know how long it takes to do a simple decoration.  My price is $35 per cake ( I live in a poor area), and would like to price the cake properly to the restaurant.  I would give them a discount, but how much?  I live in Florida which means I can make and sell cakes out of my own kitchen, as a cottage industry.

Also... How many slices per cake?  I see that 16 slices are pretty standard per 9 inch round cake.

Does anyone do bundt style cakes?  I also love to make bundt cakes and have a couple of specialty cakes that are requested from time to time.  All my cakes, frostings are made from scratch. 

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

those are huge servings out of a 9" cake -- you can get twice as many servings -- no don't discount to them -- 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 5

Absolutely no discount.  If you sell your chocolate cake for $35 and are happy with that price, stick to it.  The restaurant is going to sell it for at least $4 per serving, so that is a nice profit margin for them.

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

No discount! Agreed! Also, I can 24 servings out of a nine-inch cake and I’m sure the restaurant will too. :)

OHaresTstyTrts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OHaresTstyTrts Posted 14 Feb 2019 , 4:59am
post #5 of 5

I'm in Florida as well. What you want to do is not legal under the cottage food law. You can only sell directly to the consumer. You can't sell wholesale or through a brick and mortar. The restaurant should know this as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%