Texture Of Gluten Free Cupcakes/cakes

Baking By amybaez86 Updated 17 Feb 2019 , 10:07pm by weluvpiggies

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

Hello there,

I am new to the gluten free world and I am wondering, what is the texture of gluten free cakes/cupcake?

I made some practice chocolate cupcakes, the flavor is there but the texture is off. They are pretty dense, not fluffy at all, they came out moist but almost "sticky" if you will (they are completely cooked and cooled. Also, they flattened out once cooled even though they had a nice dome when I took them out of the oven, is this normal?

Any help would be appreciated!

6 replies
me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 7

I convert my choc recipe to gluten free with no noticeable difference in texture, still light and fluffy.

My vanilla recipe has a slight texture difference but it is not noticeable to anyone other than cakers really. Still pretty fluffy. 

I just switch out the flours in my normal recipe and replace with Orgran GF flours.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 5:45am
post #3 of 7

It all feels gritty. Is there a brand that isn't?

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 10:46am
post #4 of 7

I gave up on GF from scratch, I just use a cake mix now, the cake mix is light and fluffy like I would expect of any cake.

I seem to have no luck with scratch recipes, every now and then they turn out (and friands are just the best!0 but usually they are gummy, dense or gritty and a big waste of money.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Feb 2019 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 7

I have only used box mixes. 

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 7

I have tried several GF flours and to me the best is by Authentic Foods. They make a GF Classical Blend and Steve's GF cake flour. The cake flour blend doesn't require additional xanthum gum.

So far I've used it for both chocolate and vanilla cakes. I used to leave the cake trimmings out for the guys in the restaurant I worked in to snack on, and unless I told them it was GF, they couldn't tell. 

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 17 Feb 2019 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 7

Hi, All of my baking is GF and the type of flours/starches in your GF flour mix will affect the texture.  Most likely the grit is caused by the brown rice flour.  If you use that in your mix, look for the finest ground.  There are also many GF flour mix recipes that don't use brown rice flour at all.  So, my advice would be to either use a finer ground brown rice flour or don't use it at all.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%