$600 Modernist Bread? Book Recommendation?

Baking By johnson6ofus Updated 4 days ago by SandraSmiley

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 5 days ago
post #1 of 5

Hey all...

I had read previous posts about great cooking books and an old discussion was culinary school/ education books not really the "pretty picture books" version. Something along the lines of: "what was the best cook book you ever learned from?". At that time,   Professional Baking , was highly recommended, as a previous culinary textbook.  Got it...like it. 

So now....meet Modernist Bread. $600?????? Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it? Familiar with it?

TIA for any input. 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 days ago
post #2 of 5

Never heard of it.  For a whole lot less money, you can learn all kinds of bread science, recipes and baking techniques on Bluprint (formerly Craftsy).  Right now, I am watching Artisan Bread Making, 5 hours plus.  You can purchase the classes through the Craftsy platform, when they are on sale for $19.00 (you own them forever) or become a member of Bluprint, by subscription, and have access to the entire, extensive library.  I am a huge fan and have learned so much from their classes.

My favorite cookbooks are still Southern Living, Better Homes and Gardens, the old standbys.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 days ago
post #3 of 5

Thanks Sandra. I love those too! I learned cooking with my Dad and the Time Life set "Foods of the World". They were very authentic (still my favorite sweet and sour pork recipe!) .

Actually my son tried to offer to "share" these new "modernist" books with him...looking for "halvsies". ROLF. He likes the "science based" books. He has gone significantly salt free (health wise) and is playing with breads. I too, had never heard of them. For $600 they need to be gems! I just wondered if anyone had them and were impressed to the tune of $600. Not saying that they are not....but just want to hear that if it is true. 

Our best, most recent, almost salt free bread success (trial and many errors) was with sauteed onions and rosemary for flavor (Sorry, salt free bread is like wallpaper paste). 

post #4 of 5

Oh, I didn't realize it was a series of books.  That is a whole new ballgame.  Still, I've never heard of them.

I agree, bread is virtually tasteless without salt.  Most of my bread recipes call for such a small amount of salt - 1-1/2 teaspoons for six cups of flour, for example - that it doesn't concern me.

post #5 of 5

I never saw the Time Life books on cooking, but I have the series on photography and learned everything I know about making pictures from them.  They were fabulous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%