I have made ganache before, using semi sweet chocolate chips and cream (in the past I used half and half), and it has always turned out great. Today I made it using a different brand of chocolate chips (Kirkland), and heavy whipping cream. I left it on the counter covered for about 6 hours and when I went to use it, there was some oily, jelly type stuff sitting on top of part of it. What happened?! Can it still be used? I gave it a good mix and it looks and tastes fine, so I put it in between the layers of a chocolate cake which I’ll be completing tomorrow. But now I’m worried that the ganache in between the layers will be disgusting by Saturday (it’s for my sons birthday party). Should I refrigerate it? Scrap it? Ive only done filled and stacked it and now it’s covered well in Saran Wrap.
Hmmm, sounds like it may have split. When I've had that happen and then mixed it again it has sometimes developed that grainy sort of texture. If I'm trying to fix a split, I usually reheat a cup or so of the ganache until it's warm and melty again, and then re-mix the whole thing.
When I make ganache I usually had a little cold milk towards the end of mixing just to ensure the dreaded split doesn't happen.
Fingers crossed yours is okay!
It should be fine as a filling between the layers. It does sound like it may have split and need to be reworked, per me_me1's suggestion, before applying to the outside of the cake.