I Need Some Ideas!

Decorating By KitchenSix Updated 7 Feb 2019 , 7:38pm by jchuck

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 4:59am
post #1 of 9

So I am lucky enough to teach basic buttercream decorating at my votech! It’s my second year.  This year, I have an arthritic student, and piping the flowers hurts her wrists, because she cannot hold the piping bag in both her hands.

Any tips on how I can help her overcome this? Any alternatives?  I tried placing the nail in some styrofoam and putting it on a turn table to try it one petal at time, but I couldn’t do it!  She bought some Russian piping tips, too, so I’m going to teach her how to use them, but was hoping for any more ideas or experiences!

8 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 9

KitchenSix 

I also have arthritis in my hands. I can pipe, but must take frequent breaks. I also can’t pipe two days in a row. It’s not my wrists, but my fingers that ache. I just took a cookie decorating class, 5 hours. My hands were sore the next day. I have a writing/decorating pen I use for fine piping, ie: writing, dots, etc. But I’m not sure that would work for piping flowers, as I’ve never actually tried. Here is the one I have. Perhaps your student could give this a try??

https://www.amazon.com/slp/cake-decorating-pen/5cceg3hkj2ew7wf

KitchenSix Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you! I will recommend this to her! She’s actually my best border piper, too, if you can believe it! If you ever try this for flowers, mainly roses and succulents, please let me know!  I really want to help her, but am thinking drop flowers may be best!

I had the idea last night to have her start with a Russian piping rose, stick the nail in some styrofoam on the cake board, and then build from that one petal at a time.  I plan to try this technique tonight.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 9

I have really twisty, knobby, arthritic hands and my problem is more not being able to hold the bag properly, because my fingers won't bend.  I have found that using only a small amount of frosting in the piping bag works best for me.  I seem to have a lot more control and am able to squeeze out the frosting with one hand and use the other hand to guide and stabilize the tip.

That being said, I cann't pipe worth a hoot anyway.  One thing I find almost impossible to do it pipe roses on a nail, because one of the things I can no longer do with my hands is spin the nail.

Please let her know that she is not alone, there are many of us who struggle.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 9

I have really twisty, knobby, arthritic hands and my problem is more not being able to hold the bag properly, because my fingers won't bend.  I have found that using only a small amount of frosting in the piping bag works best for me.  I seem to have a lot more control and am able to squeeze out the frosting with one hand and use the other hand to guide and stabilize the tip.

That being said, I cann't pipe worth a hoot anyway.  One thing I find almost impossible to do it pipe roses on a nail, because one of the things I can no longer do with my hands is spin the nail.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 9

jchuck Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 9

Yes KitchenSix

Forgot to mention, agreeing with Sandra,  that having too much icing in your bag makes it harder to squeeze. When I made roses, a million years ago, I always used combo of fairly stiff bc + royal icing. Let me tell you, that’s a beggar to squeeze out of your piping bag!!! And a writing pen couldn’t handle that type of stiff icing. But a learned to do my roses in stages, so much easier. Piped the cone shape on the parchment (attached to flower nail), let completely harden. Then first row of petals, harden again. Then rest of petals, letting harden between each addition. Less stressful, and much easier on the hands. 

KitchenSix Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you!  I have mentioned to them that less the better! I also told her that she may need to do it in stages, as well!  Thank you guys so much for your ideas and support so far!

jchuck Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 9

We’re here to help!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%