Any Advice About Having Both An In-Home Baking Business And An Operation In A Commercial Kitchen For Same Recipe?

Baking By CoffeeCakes Updated 6 Feb 2019 , 2:51am by -K8memphis

CoffeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoffeeCakes Posted 5 Feb 2019 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 2

I live in Virginia and have just formalized a coffee cake business that is going to operate our of my home under the cottage law - so I am able to sell at farmer's markets and directly to customers.  I have just been offered the opportunity to have my cakes served in a boutique hotel in another city in VA.  Crazy question....but could I continue to bake at home and sell the cakes directly like I have been and bake the cakes for the hotel at a nearby certified commercial business?  It doesn't make financial sense for me right now to work exclusively out of a commercial kitchen...

Any ideas?

Thanks so much!

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 2:51am
post #2 of 2

see selling to the hotel is way different than farmer's markets and to individuals -- you are then catering -- in my state of tennessee they draw the line at decorated cake -- they consider that catering -- because it is going to serve a ton of different random people like at the boutique hotel -- so the responsibility is much greater to provide a safe sanitary product and not that you don't already but a home kitchen is different than a commercial one -- right?

but all in all you need to ask your local health people what kind of certification you need

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%