Reply To First Try At Swiss Buttercream Was A Fail.

Decorating By dlta Updated 4 Feb 2019 , 9:08pm by jchuck

dlta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlta Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 15

I have to start a new thread since I can't reply to post.

So if it wasn't cool enough,  if I put it back in my mixer and mix it, will it come together and get fluffy? I took it out of the mixer bowl and put it in the refrigerator last night. 

I thought it was cool enough, I even wiped the outside of my bowl with a cool wet cloth, but from what it sounds it still may have not been cool enough. 

14 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 15

Have you tried to re-whip after removing from the refrigerator? With the butter returning to solid, it should come together. You can also add some icing sugar to help bind the icing. That won’t make the icing overly sweet. I’ve done it. Let us know what happens.

dlta Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 15

I just got it out of refrigerator an letting it warm up, then will try to whip it and see what happens.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:13pm
post #4 of 15

yeah perfect -- should work

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 15

If you can  not do it, try Lauren Kitchens no cook  buttercream,

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 15

I believe it will whip up to the correct consistency.  Like I said before, I believe the reason it too so long for my first batch to come together (I mixed for almost an hour) was because my butter was much too soft.  It had been at room temperature until it was squishy.  Next time, I let it set out of the refrigerator for a while, but it was till firm when I added it to the egg/sugar mixture and it came together right away.

dlta Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 9:06pm
post #7 of 15

I put it back in my stand mixer and let it whip for about 5 minutes. Finally came together but still had a few little “lumps” in it so I let it mix for about five more minutes. Turned out nice.  Thanks to all who helped figure this out for me. I usually use american buttercream but wanted to learn swiss buttercream for something different. I do like the taste of swiss.  This will give me different options when I bake. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 15

yay!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 12:29am
post #9 of 15

For sure, don't give up on SMBC, dita!  Like I said, my first try took forever, but the second attempt came together almost immediately.  Personally, I think it is well worth the effort.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 6:24am
post #10 of 15

Yay! Glad your SMBC came together! SMBC is my go-to buttercream. I don't like the American buttercream - too gritty no matter how much I beat it and a bit too sweet for me too. I love the silkiness of SMBC.

dlta Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 12:06pm
post #11 of 15

I like the taste of swiss, my wife I think still likes the American buttercream better.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 15

So does my partner - he likes cheap supermarket white chocolate, AMBC, plain vanilla cake...  at least it's cheap making cake for him!   :)

jchuck Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 12:51pm
post #13 of 15

So glad your smbc came together. I too do not like ABC. It was the icing I was taught to make in my cake decorating class in the early 80’s. I had always made all butter icing, 7 minute icing etc growing up, being taught by my Mom.  Although I like smbc, I’m too lazy to make it. I stick too my cooked flour icing. Tastes silky, can flavour so many ways, and sooo much easier than smbc. 

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 3:17pm
post #14 of 15

June, I too have fallen in love with the Ermine (cooked flour) frosting and so has Mike.  It seems so much lighter and delicate than even SMBC, but, to me it it doesn't seem to be any easier than SMBC.  I don't find either of them to be difficult at all.

jchuck Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 9:08pm
post #15 of 15

I just find the beating of the egg whites and adding the butter to be at be iffy at times. And even tho I adjusted my amount of  added butter to smbc, it can still taste too buttery. And smbc won't set/crust. Where as flour icing, with addition of some icing sugar/meringue powder does. So find easier to smooth. Especially with a hot off set spatula.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%