Contract Question

Business By Kim1182 Updated 3 Feb 2019 , 3:03pm by -K8memphis

Kim1182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim1182 Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 8

I have a signed contract from a bride to provide her wedding cake and the groom’s  cake. I have her deposit which is 50% of the contracted price. Yesterday I received an email from the wedding planner who works for the wedding/reception venue. Basically, the venue wants me to sign a contract with them for the same services outlined in my contract with the bride.  In my opinion, signing their contract would be inappropriate, may not be legal and would nullify my contract with the bride. My business is an LLC. This is not typical for my area and I’ve never been asked to do this before. Has anyone dealt with this?  I’m trying to be polite yet straightforward with the venue.  

7 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 9:08pm
post #2 of 8

Did they say why they require such a contract?  It sounds very odd because the service you are providing is between you and the couple, not you and the venue. The venue is not paying you anything and as such should not be involved in your cake contract what so ever.  I would get more detail but I would be very hesitant in signing anything like that.

The 8 years I worked as a florist I do not recall the business ever having to sign something with the venue nor ever being asked too.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2019 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 8

that's flat weird

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 12:09am
post #4 of 8

Totally agree with both Freckles0829 & K8memphis 

I’ve set up lots of cakes at many different venues, and was never ever asked to sign a contract with them. You are correct, your contract is with the bride and groom. I definitely wouldn’t sign. And I would contact the bride about this. She needs to know what the venue is up to.

And out of curiosity, what does ..    “My business is a LLC”...mean??

Kim1182 Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 1:40am
post #5 of 8

jchuck, an LLC is a limited liability company.  Setting your company up as an LLC protects both the company and personal assets.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 12:52pm
post #6 of 8

Ahhh..Kim1182 

Not being in business I wouldn’t have known what that meant. Thanks for the explanation.

Kim1182 Posted 2 Feb 2019 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 8

Freckles0829jchuck-K8memphis

I have a clarification to make.  Is there a way for me to provide you some info without posting in this open forum?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 8

you can message us in the private messenger -- click on one of our names and then add the others if you want

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%