Sweetex Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By punkyf Updated 30 Jan 2019 , 12:54am by punkyf

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 4:19am
post #1 of 5

I am looking for Sweetex hi ratio shortening. Where do you purchase it? Years ago I got it at Gordon Food Service but I'm having trouble finding it now. I know things are trans fat free now so what is everyone using? 

Punkyf

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jan 2019 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

Sweetex is stilled advertised as high ratio, but it contains 0 trans fats.  I previously purchased it from a restaurant supply store, but when I went to purchase last time and discovered that it, indeed, had no trans fats, I went to the grocery store and bought Crisco instead.

punkyf Posted 30 Jan 2019 , 12:24am
post #3 of 5

SandraSmiley, How does the Crisco work for you? I used it after they took the transfats out and the oil seemed to seep out of the icing. Also I made your chocolate cake for my daughters wedding and everyone loved it!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jan 2019 , 12:47am
post #4 of 5

So far anyway, it's worked just fine.  I used Crisco in the good old days, before I knew about high ratio shortenings, but I believe it contained trans fat, too, at that time.  The new Crisco, which is also trans fat free, seems a little different in texture, but works just fine.  It did have to beat it much longer to get the smooth consistence I like.

punkyf Posted 30 Jan 2019 , 12:54am
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%