Iced Caked Weight

Baking By jenmay Updated 22 Jan 2019 , 8:55pm by -K8memphis

jenmay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmay Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 11:34am
post #1 of 6

I have a question, I’m a home baker. When someone tell me to make a 1 kg cake, I get confused if I should make the cake along with icing example 600gms cake sponge & 400gms icing or the cake sponge should be 1000gms & icing is additional. Thank you

Appreciate  the replies

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

Who in the world orders a cake by weight?  Tell the person you need to know how many people will be served, not how much each serving will weigh.  The weight of a 10 inch angel food cake would be much different from the weight of a 10 inch fruit cake, with or without frosting.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6

I think in the caribbean or somewhere lovely tropical like that -- they order them that way -- maybe a place on the continent of africa too -- I've never understood it but that's how they do it --

-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 6

and in india apparently they do by weight too

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 6

Huh, what an odd way to order a cake.  I would probably venture to guess that the weight requested would mean the entire finished cake, not just the basic cake with no icing, but I could be completely wrong.  I have never heard of ordering a cake by weight until right this second.

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 6

it's a very strange concept -- I've never figured it out -- but some places on the planet do that -- and is it just for the wonderful fruity cakes -- not like english/american fruit cakes but the fermented fruit they make cakes out of -- Idk

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%