Cake Pricing

Baking By Ektaagrawal Updated 19 Jan 2019 , 5:36pm by cakefan92

Ektaagrawal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ektaagrawal Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 12:24am
post #1 of 2

Hi Guys,

I love baking and offlate I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum. Till now I have baked cakes for friends and family but now I have decided to accept external orders. I recently made a 2-tier cake and a vegetable garden cake for a friend. I do not intend to accept any payment from them but wanted to know the price I should charge for these cakes if I am making it for someone else

Below are the cake details:

1) 2 tier cake (9inch and 6inch, each with 3 layers): Blueberry chiffon cake and pineapple chiffon cake with whipped cream filling and italian buttercream frosting, covered in fondant and handmade decorations + handmade cakeboard

2)2 layer 9 inch vegetable garden cake: Chocolate cake with italian buttercream frosting, covered in fondant and handmade decorations + handmade cakeboard

Attached are a few pics for reference

Cake PricingCake Pricing

1 reply
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 2

No one can tell you what you should charge; however, if you plan to make it a business, you should have your pricing firmly in place before you take your first order. If it's a hobby and you're only doing it on the side, then as long as your costs are covered you can charge what makes you happy.

Pricing is the biggest bugaboo there is - - you need to take into consideration your cost of ingredients, packaging, clean-up supplies, your time for consultation, shopping for ingredients/supplies, baking and delivery. You need to figure in overhead such as utilities for baking, insurance and even gas for your car.  You need to know your market and the going rate other bakers charge in your area. You need to decide what flavors you offer and if you'll charge more for some than for others. Will you charge more for fondant? Most bakers do. How much extra will you charge for those fiddly decorations that take extra time to make? How much will you pay yourself per hour?  How long will it take you to do a cake from start to finish?

You have to do the leg work and research because no one can do that part for you.  I have lists and spreadsheets out the wazoo and I'm constantly updating them. It's a pain and it takes time but it's worth it to be able to confidently give someone a quote and know that you won't be paying them for the privilege of making it.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%