Help! I Should Have Come Here Before Doing This Cake!

Baking By Kelbel2440 Updated 25 Jan 2019 , 12:54am by SandraSmiley

Kelbel2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbel2440 Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 4:30am
post #1 of 11

Ok.  I’m doing a tiramisu cake (sponge cake soaked with coffee syrup, marscapone filling, and whipped cream frosting.). Here’s the ingredients of the whipped cream frosting.  

ounces cream cheese (the kind in a brick) 3/4 cup powdered sugar 2 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream

so

so after I started the cake and have assembled and frosted - I came on here and now I see a lot about stabilizing the whipped frosting, which I did not do. Help me figure out if it’s gonna make it!  I am bringing it to work Friday morning and it will sit in my car for about 9 hours.  I’m in WI.  Garage temp is about 30-35.  Then my coworker is taking the cake to a party a couple hours later where it will be served.   Is the whipped frosting going to make it?  Or is it just gonna slide off the cake?  I’m freaking a bit.  There’s a lot of moisture in the cake from the coffee syrup.  I went a little too heavy in that.  Anything I should do to help the situation???

10 replies
thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 6:42am
post #2 of 11

Unless that garage is heated, that cake is going to freeze after the 9 hours in the car. I don't know were in WI you are, but in Eau Claire the high is only going to be 24 on Friday. 

Kelbel2440 Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 11

Not too worried about the cake freezing.... more worried about when it comes to room temp if the whipped frosting will melt off.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 11

how strong was the whipped cream when you whipped it?  whipped cream turns into butter if it's whipped too long right? if you whip cream long enough and stop whipping right before it becomes butter -- it will hold perfectly without gelatin -- without being stabilized because it has it's own stabilization process built in by God --

so if you made it right it will hold --

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 11

if it freezes in the garage -- when the ice crystals melt it could sog it out -- on the other hand -- if it gets much above 35 that won't be good either -- I always heard that cars are warmer than the garage temp anyway -- idk -- that's true for hot days at least -- idk

Kelbel2440 Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 11

I feel like it was a sturdy whipped cream.  Definitely not over whipped.  If I scooped some up and turned the spoon it wouldn’t fall off.   I’m just gonna have faith and pray it stays good.  I already told my coworker my concerns and just told her if it is a disaster I’ll refund her money.  Fingers crossed.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 11

when you say this I feel good that it's gonna be ok  "I feel like it was a sturdy whipped cream."

when you say this "Definitely not over whipped." I worry

hopefully all will go well -- 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jan 2019 , 6:03pm
post #8 of 11

I doubt the cake will freeze, even if it sets at 30 degrees for 9 hours.  A cake is dense and takes a good while to freeze, especially at only a couple of degrees below freezing.  I would be more concerned about it getting too warm, but probably will not in WI in the winter.  Betting it will be fine.

Kelbel2440 Posted 24 Jan 2019 , 6:45pm
post #9 of 11

Update, all was fine.  I brought it into work and stuck it in the work fridge.  I was more worried about coming to room temp but the client said everything tasted amazing, and from the pictures once cut it looked like everything was still in its place.  Yea!

-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2019 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 11

thumbsup

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 12:54am
post #11 of 11

Perfect!  Big sigh of relief!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%