Painting Gold Onto Royal Icing

Decorating By onecakelady Updated 9 Jan 2019 , 8:42pm by onecakelady

onecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 2:38am
post #1 of 11

I have tried painting on royal icing on my sugar cookies with a mixture of Rolkem super gold and vodka but the finish looked pitted, is it because my royal icing wasn't super dry or should I be using a different product? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

10 replies
inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 11

I do it all the time and have never had that problem. I am not familiar with Rolkem, but I use an edible gold dust. Anyway, yes, I do make sure that the royal icing is completely dry before I add gold. 

onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 11

Someone suggested it might be the meringue powder I use, can I ask what brand you use inthekitchen2?

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 11

I don't think it's that. I have used various brands, usually Wilton, now I'm using Sunny Side up -it's from Hobby Lobby, (they sell it by the large canister which is what I need). I honestly think it has to do with the liquid. Liquid eats at royal icing, so either the icing isn't dry enough, or the gold is too saturated with the vodka eating through the icing. 

onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 11

I have always used Wilton's meringue powder. Good point, how do you know you have the right consistency so this doesn't happen?

onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 11

Rolkem is also a gold powder and I let my royal icing dry overnight.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 11

I thought Rolkem was for decoration only? But it sounds like it could be the cookie is too wet or too much Vodka. I have had pits before, even when I knew my cookie was dry. I use a little dropper and add 3 drops of Everclear and start with that, and if it needs to be thinner, add another drop, but usually 3 is a good start. 

onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the help. I was told the super gold was suppose to be food safe but have since found out that none of their products are so I am also looking for another to use in its place, what do you use or any suggestions?

ypierce82 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 11

As of now, I use the Wilton gold because I'm so weary of products since they'll say edible, then they're not. I do still use my Rolkem on pieces that won't be consumed. I saw another thread here not that long ago where people were listing different brands. I'll look and see if I can find it.

ypierce82 Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 11

https://www.roxyandrich.com/food-coloring/hybrid-sparkle-dust

I have heard a few good things about these.

onecakelady Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 8:42pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you for the all the help I will definitely look into this product. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%