Oil Slick/rainbow Effect?

Decorating By CalaMom Updated 27 Jan 2019 , 1:00pm by Magic Mouthfuls

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 1:51am
post #1 of 3

Happy New Year Cakers!!

So to start the new year and to celebrate my daughter's birthday, we started planning her birthday and the cake. She would like a snake cake and a reptile themed party. I've been searching CC and have seen amazing cake ideas and great inspiration. So I started looking around for real snake patterns/types and came across the Rainbow Boa. Which I think would be perfect- it plays into my daughters (and her "cousin")   rainbow interest while still being a snake cake..plus its a cool looking cake. However, I'm not sure how to achieve the rainbow/oil slick iridescent effect in spots.  I have a few luster/pearl dusts but haven't really used them all too much. So any advice/experience/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Do I just paint the white fondant the  purpley/bluey/greeny hue in those spots then do the red orange color? THEN paint on the luster dust in the coordinating colors?

TIAOil Slick/rainbow Effect?Oil Slick/rainbow Effect?

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:13am
post #2 of 3

The iridescent color on the snake is colored lights, not his scales, I don't think.  To achieve the effect, I would paint the fondant the way the picture shows, then glaze the whole piece for a high gloss.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 27 Jan 2019 , 1:00pm
post #3 of 3

Spectrum Flow make an iridescent air brush paint in quite a few colours including an iridescent blue.  You could airbrush or hand paint with one of these perhaps.

https://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/colours-flavours-c46/airbrush-colours-c48/spectrum-flow-special-effects-100ml-and-125ml-airbrush-paint-set-of-6-p10833  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%