How Do I Properly Transport Cakes In My Car?

Baking By CrimsonRose25 Updated 8 Jan 2019 , 4:26am by SandraSmiley

CrimsonRose25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrimsonRose25 Posted 7 Jan 2019 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone. In a few weeks I am baking two 8" three layer cakes, one lemon and one german chocolate, for a friend of my boyfriend's birthday party. I am not a professional baker but I have been baking cakes for 8 years now and sell them to friends and family members. I have never had to transport more than one cake in my car, so I am unsure how to go about transporting more than one. In the past I had someone ride with me and hold the cake carefully on their lap on a cake stand. My boyfriend has offered to ride in the car with me to help make sure the cakes are okay in the car and to help me transport them from boxes to cake stands once we arrive at the location of the party. It is over an hour drive from our house to the party venue. Luckily it is Winter time and the temperature will likely be in the 40's or 50's (Fahrenheit). How do I transport a cake from a box to a stand? Do I decorate the cake on a cake board at home that is the same size as the cake, or slightly bigger? Also, is it recommended that I refrigerate the cakes the night before or leave them out at room temp.?  Any and all tips are welcome.

Thank you!

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:26am
post #2 of 2

Your cake needs to be on a cake board that is at least 4" larger than your cake, for 8" cakes, use a 12" cake board.  It should be covered with fondant or a nice grease proof paper and trimmed around the edge with a ribbon or tape.  When you get ready to display it, set the whole thing on the cake stand.  This makes your cake much more stable.

To transport, I put my cakes in boxes that are either exactly the same width as my cake board or cut pieces of card board to fit around the cake board to keep it from sliding around.  A piece of skid proof mat (like used under rugs) underneath the box will help keep it from sliding around.  Depending upon the type vehicle you drive, the back end, the floor boards and the trunk are options. The box should be placed on a flat surface, not the seat or someone's lap.  If you drive an SUV, it is easy to set them in the back and secure with a net, if you like, but it is not necessary.  If you are driving a car, there will probably be room to set them in the floorboard of the back seat, or one could set in the floorboard of the front seat.  They can also be placed in the trunk, if there is not sufficient space on the floor.  Be sure to allow yourself plenty of time and avoid abrupt turns and fast stops.

Best of luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%