Pricing And Techniques

Business By HajraK Updated 4 Jan 2019 , 3:01am by HajraK

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

My client wants this same cake with the balls of yarn on top also being made out of cake. 

https://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/1863174

What size balls would you make and what would be the best way to support them? I'm debating whether I should make them freehand or search for a small size ball pan to use. I know Wilton's ball pan is 6" round. Also, if I make them instead out of Rice krispy treats, how would I support them? Stick a wooden rod through them?

The base of the basket I would do a 2 layer 8" round with buttercream, not fondant. My 2 layer 8" rounds start at $50 so I am thinking for this type of detailed cake, around $125-$150. Does this sound about in the right ballpark?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

I think $150  would be a fair price and you would also make a nice profit.  Instead of trying to bake the cakes round, I would make them like a cake pop, crumbling the cake and mixing with buttercream until it sticks together firmly, chill, cover in melted chocolate, let set up and you are ready to cover with the fondant thread.  You could even use cake pop sticks to anchor the balls in place on top of the cake.  You should probably put some straws, for support, into the 8" round, underneath the balls.  

On second thought,  I would put the balls on a 6 ot 7 inch cake board, which would be covered in the same buttercream as the cake.  The bottom tier would still need support.  The balls could be served and than the cake board removed so the bottom tier could be sliced or removed the whole top portion before serving. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 5

Wilton makes a small half-round pan that is often used for bauble or Christmas ornament cakes.  They would be about the right size. You could put them together with frosting and then cover with fondant yarn.  They're not heavy so I don't think you would need additional support, but it never hurts. 

I think your price is in the right ballpark. Good luck.

HajraK Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 12:13am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the suggestions. They are great! I sent my client the quote so lets see what she says.

HajraK Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 3:01am
post #5 of 5

So this and another knitting cake I quoted her (that one was $145) turned out to be above her budget. However she seems like a nice person who understands pricing so I am working with her on finding something more in line with what she can afford. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%